Britain is banning the use of Peat Moss

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's an article in the New York Times regarding a government-appointed taskforce recommendation to phase out the use of peat moss. I've seen a few discussions on Dave's Garden about this matter over the years so I thought I'd post this here to hear some thoughts on the matter now that the government has stepped in. It's interesting to me because there are, according to some, abundant supplies of peat throughout the world. On the other hand, "harvesting" the peat releases the carbon stored by the bogs so even if the ecosystems aren't destroyed by taking some peat off the top, there may be larger climate issues to consider.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/science/earth/british-gardeners-battle-over-peat-for-bogs-sake.html?hpw&_r=0

How much do you guys use peat in your gardening?

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!