Please help me keep my araucaria araucana alive!

Philadelphia, PA

On ebay I found an offer for four araucara araucana seeds this summer - which I bought. I followed the growing instructions, and all sprouted in a pot which I kept outdoors. Alas, three of them died and I have one left. By now it is two inches tall, looks okay and I brought the pot inside - at least for the cold season. How do I keep it alive? I don't expect to live long enough to admire the full grown tree, but I would really like to see it grow to young-tree-size! Any suggestions?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Over winter, keep it cold, only just above freezing (between 0° to 10°), in well-drained soil kept on the dryish side, not too wet, and in bright light.

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Humidity, humidity, humidity. If you think about it, where they come from gets hit by clouds as they roll into the mountains. They don't like it hot or dry in the air but benefit from a cool-humid environment. The best ones around here are near the coast, the worst are up the valley where summer temps go hot and dry and the winds pick up. As Resin mentioned, lots of indirect light but don't let them go bone-dry. I've grown quite a few from seed and I had the best luck having them under the benches in the greenhouse or in a shaded spot to protect them from summer sun and heat. They take sun when they mature after a few years. If you think of this plant as belonging in cool-conditions alpine conifer tree seedling production without the below 0 C temps, it works.

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

Resin is talking about temperatures in Celsius, by the way. (I was briefly perplexed.)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from medlarman :
Resin is talking about temperatures in Celsius, by the way. (I was briefly perplexed.)

Of course, it is after all the only sensible temperature scale other than Kelvins ;-)

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.