Peonies for 2013

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Okay, so it is a little early. But I just received my shipment from Hidden Springs and am excited even to see the tubers. Really good ones. Will post pics tomorrow

Here are the tubers for anyone who hasn't seen how they arrive. All the vendors seem to have their differences. Reath's send huge clumps, Adelman's sends single tubers like carrots, and these are from Hidden Springs. You can see lots of very well developed eyes. I am not surprised that Reath's seem to bloom well the first year since they have more to get established with lots of roots and tubers attached.

I got them in the ground yesterday morning right ahead of another deluge that lasted all day. I am glad I kept dirt in the garage so at least I wasn't putting them in sodden mud the consistency of wet concrete.

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi. Nice tubies! Smart of you to have kept some soil in the garage.

I grabbed a sale on Peony.net to get some early reds to go with Burma Joy, which bloomed beautifully in my shady yard. I don't have as much sun so I have to be judicious. I got two Burma Midnights and one had 14 eyes, and the other had 9. The were on sale for half price, down from $22. I installed them on the 22nd.

I also moved a Festiva Maxima from a location in which it did not get enough sun, to a full sun spot. It dhould do fine next year.

My last peony, which is coming from Old House Gardens, is a replacement Mrs. FDR. I just had to have it - I loved it so in my old yard.

The last peony, and I think I already posted about it, was one I found when I was digging to put in hardy geraniums. It was buried about six inches down, which explains why it never bloomed. It appears to have six eyes. Since it is an unknown, I put it in a pot to overwinter it.

I no longer have 14 peonies, but I do have 10, much to my surprise.

Boy you got a hot deal on those peonies. And so many eyes - 14! I have never had that many. I was tickled with 3-5.

I was looking at the prices between OHG and Hidden Springs and OHG was almost twice the price for the same dahlia. But I know that sometimes you can't find what you want WHERE you want it. lol.

Just put in some parrot tulips and some more daffodils. I like them but not really sure how to have them in the garden when come spring I will be stuffing plants everywhere, thereby possibly digging up the spring bulbs. When I do, I generally just dig another little hole and stuff them in close by. I got them from OHG because they have some really different daffys and tulips. I loved Irene Copeland daffy and wanted to order few more, then got carried away.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

OHG is really pricey for some things but a bargain on others. Mrs. FDR was under $20. I've never seen it priced so inexpensively. I grabbed it. I love daffodil Mrs. Backhouse. I am getting some from him, as well as more Mount Hood. I used to splurge on all of his double hyacinths, but it's hard to keep those babies going. I got some Leucojum 'Gravetye Giant' and lilium Silver Sunburst that are so vigorous I have to beat them back, transplant them to other areas, or give them away. Except for the hyacinths I have every plant I have ever bought from him, plus the pals they brought along.

I'll let you know about Mrs. FDR. I'm sure they will be great. And I'll report on the performance of the 14 and 9 eyed peonies. I got a 7 eye Mrs. FDR years ago, and its early growth and vigor were incredible.

Uh oh. I too love the doubles. I will make a note of the two you suggested in case my doubles fade away also. The tulips I got from Dutch Gardens are in lavender and apricot shades. I planted some of the traditional ones from Lowe's and they look so hohum and pretty wimpy. On the other hand I have some out from from OHG that are huge and vigorous. Even one really small heirloom called General Ney. He was almost no where to be found for a year or so then last year up he came along with several friends. lol. Three of the others I have never seen come up. Perhaps next year. His tulips seem to bloom and last forever while the cheap ones out back hardly last at all.

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

To keep from digging up fall bulbs when I'm planting in the spring, I 'ring' my bulbs when I put them in. Cut a 2-litre bottle crossways about 2" wide. Sink them into the soil almost all the way, and then the mulch will cover the rest. When I brush the mulch to the side to plant, that little lip of plastic reminds me where my bulbs are.

You don't do that for each bulb, right. That would be a whole lot of soda bottles. I make note in my database where I planted them but sometimes in my fervor to plant in the spring, I don't consult all the notes I so carefully made in the fall.

Kansas City, MO

I have used rings of sand around the areas that I have planted bulbs and other things. However I can't find the corse type that I used for that. I used to use the lighter sand as a mulch for newly planted peonies by mounding over the bud area. The thought was that during the winter the sand would wash away from the bud and form a ring.

I did promise Le Perle earlier this year. It appears to have died as I find no evidence of it. The APS in there online auction does have it

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

I generally don't plant more than 3-5 bulbs in one space, and only 1 depending on the plant. For singles I use the 1-litre or 20 oz soda bottles instead. I can get 4 or 5 rings off of a 2-litre bottle so I just put out the word among friends and at work and I have plenty enough. I don't take them up after the plant grows since they are hidden by the mulch, so it's not like I put new rings down each year.

Oh, I understand. I thought you put the entire bottle over the place. Neat idea. Very practical.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My $17.50 Mrs. FDR peony from Old House Gardens had 9 eyes on a big healthy root. It was by far the lowest price around. They noted that they are expanding their peony offerings. Definitely worth checking out!

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:36 AM

NOW they do it when I have sworn off peonies. lol. that really is an amazing price especially having so many eyes and being a big root.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They are doing it to mess with you.

You have to hand it to them. It is just a beautiful root, if there is such a thing. OHG, according to a note with my order, is getting into peonies. They used to have only a hand full, but they are expanding.

This is my huge root year: 14, 14 and 9. All from smaller purveyors. Makes you go hum... and consider looking small before going t the bigger companies.

I agee. May have to check with OHG in future before going to others.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Last year i got huge roots with many eyes from OHC, and they bloomed like they were three year old plants in my garden! This year I didn't get to OHG in time to get Laura Dessert, so I ordered from Bannisters peony.net and from Klehms. The Bannister roots are long and plentiful but three to five eyes on most, but then who would complain about amazing prices on ITOH peonies? I am dreaming about Garden Treasure in view through my bedroom window and well in front of the TPs.

I am hoping Burma Midnight doesn't need too much sun, because like Donna I am needing to go into shadier areas. The hard part is moving the other plants so the new peonies will at least get the choicest spots. I love Hidden Gardens too because of their selection and knowledge.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My Burma Ruby bloomed beautifully in a spot that receives very little direct sun, and I had moved it and installed it the previous December! A triple whammy. Have a look at the location in the upper left corner of the first photo. This was taken at noon! Very little light, and this was as good as it got. I had to save my last full sun position for Mrs. FDR, and I moved Festiva Maxima.

I think that you can feel pretty confident.

Pic 1. May 11

Pic. 2 May 13

Pic 3 May 14

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

My peonies are showing pips like last year. Hopes for the future.

Here are pictures of Julia Rose pips in the snow. And just to fill out the pictures some shots of last flowers of fall. Oh, a a shot from my kitchen of fall color

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How completely cool!

Thanks. I was really happy with them. It was such a clear crisp day. The kind I like almost more than summer.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh boy! Oberon and Donna are getting my juices going again! Donna's example is all I need to put Burma Midnight into a fairly shady spot! I'd rather give the sunnier spot to White Cap, which had only a temporary spot this year so far.

I am also planting several of my peonies higher up on a sunny hil,as I move the butterfly and hummingbird stuff. Seems drainage is the only worry there, but not an insignificant problem with our sandy soil.

I am headed out to spread poppy seeds now that I have the big stuff in. Hopefully not the handfuls I usually toss about. I spend more time digging them up than the weeds.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Rosemary,

Your instincts are great. White Cap definitely should be a star. This pic is from June of 2011. I had thrown it into a pot. It's a superstar. Can't wait to see it next year!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ohh, it is a beaut. Even in its "bad spot" my new one looked pretty promising.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.