I used pumpkins for planters

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I have long wanted to try this, and this year I did. It took me well over 2 hours to clean out 6 pumpkins, and that was with the help of DH with the power saw to cut off the tops!
So far, they have lasted a week in 95 degree weather!
I planted them in soil inside with drain holes.
A friend of mine made a blog post about it! http://flowergardengirl.com/2012/10/01/pumpkin-lemongrass-chrysanthemum-autumn-containers-with-christel-colla/
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the pictures. Everything is beautiful, I can tell you put in a lot of work.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Love it! What a creative idea!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

How unique!
Wow, it's still that hot out there? I used to live in northern CA, but I guess I forgot how late in the year it stays hot.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Our weather is very weird--early this week it was 100-105 where I live, but today I don't think it got much past the low 70's.

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

Very neat idea! I'm curious to know how long they last.

Yes, please let us know!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Your place looks really nice, you've done a great job...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How clever.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

So far they look as new, a week later. The heat is over :-) I don't have to water them often, the thick peel holds moisture in well. I scooped them out real well, that seems to be a deciding factor with rotting.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

mrs colla, how are the pumpkins holding up? I've wanted to try that here in Florida but afraid they'd just rot with the heat.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Curious. How much did those five pumpkins in your pic cost?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Now, after two weeks, they are getting moldy... I will sink them in clay pots Monday.
Gymgirl, the pumpkins themselves were about 7 Dollar a piece I think, and the plants were around 4 Dollar per plant, and there are 5 or so per pumpkin. I don't dare to do the math :-P

Oh, but what FUN! :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, you never want to add it all up:)

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

This is a brilliant idea! Therefore, I did not think of it first.
But I am going to try it this fall with chrysanthemumz.
And maybe try using varnish or that black pruning paint for the insides, since it's a disposable setup to begin with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.