1st Pond with Critters

Nooksack, WA

Several years back DW & I put our 1st pond in. We picked a location in our garden near a large blue spruce tree. Luckily I missed all the major roots when digging. We placed the liner, stones and planted Periwinkle around it. DW bought some mini cat-tails, hardy water lily and a beautiful Louisiana Iris in pots for in the pond. Then we stood back to admire our labor and I commented as we went into the house to clean up "We should get a turtle for the pond".

The next day when we come out there is 2 turtles in our pond. Wow how cool is that!

Quoting:
Field Of Dreams "Build it and they will come".
After a day or so DW ask what we should feed them. No knowing for sure I think Red Ears eat that canned stuff that is ground up dried worms or something, but these two were 6" to 8" so we needed substantially more. I suggested some fish. She comes back with the best scollops money can buy but the turtles turned up their nose at it (at least when we were watching).

To make a much longer story shorter; After about a week DW brings home a flier that was posted on a local power pole "Lost 2 red eared turtles". It appears our neighbor's pets had gone out for a night on the town and never returned. After the neighbor retrieved them DW bought a plastic one till the next adventure, international turtle smuggling...story to come.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 10:35 PM

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!