Help! Spruce dying? Please help ID problem.

Lunenburg, MA(Zone 5b)

I've spotted these yellowing branches on two huge spruce I have in my front yard. It's spreading. Caused by a beetle or disease? Please help I'd hate to lose these trees.

Thumbnail by BrrrAnn
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Has there been any stressors on the plant, ie. drought, flood, soil disturbance, etc?

Lunenburg, MA(Zone 5b)

not really, although we did have that drought in mid-summer and I didn't water the trees as they are so huge I figured they'd get their water from the water table. Could this be seasonal needle loss? I've been reading up online.

I need to check the branches for spider mites.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 4:17 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

None of the "yellowing" appears to be affecting this year's or recent growth/needles. I would say that it is seasonal needle loss.

More images would certainly help make an ID of this issue. Show the whole tree, and its growing context. Then, show more images of the afftected portions of the tree (clearer) and association of these needles with the unaffected parts.

Never assume trees have roots into the water table, unless you are a hydrogeologist AND and a horticulturist. Most conifers have very shallow root systems, and extended drought periods can wreak havoc on them for years due to this kind of stress.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.