Brushwood Sale

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Just received an email from Brushwood Nursery. All of their clematis are 1/3 off. I just spent hours narrowing down my choices to just 12. And I haven't even planted the 4 I received Friday. Hope this fall planting really works since I've ordered over 100 plants from Santa Rosa Gardens and Brushwood, not counting the ones I've bought locally.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Such temptation! Thanks for letting us clematis lovers know about it.

Which ones are you considering buying and which ones are waiting to be planted? I'm just curious.

It's a bit maddening for me when I'm backed up with plants to get in the ground, so I wish you a strong back, ideal places for all your plants and no shortage of manure, compost and patience.

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Help a clematis newbie out? I have a two-story white house that is sided in Hardi. I'd really like to train a blooming vine up the south face of the house, but am having trouble deciding which to choose. Is there a clematis that you would recommend?

Lanakila - you may get more responses by starting your own thread about suggestions for a clematis and please let us know what Hardi siding is. I've never heard of it, which means nothing at all.

There are many of us clematis lovers and each one of us has our favorites so you can also ask for photos to help you with your decision.

Please mention how tall you want the clematis to grow since many are in the 8 to 10/12' range so that would limit the choices.

In a previous post, I mentioned that the first 4 I just bought are Kaen, Kiri Te Kanawa, Bees Jubilee and Niobe.

The 12 I ordered last night are Rhapsody, Carnaby, Yukiokoshi, Kasugai, Triketrea, Polish Spirit, Montana Grandiflora, Gravetye Beauty, Alba Luxurians, Shirayukihime, Patricia Ann Fredwell and Montana Rubens.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to post pictures from another site, such as Brushwood, or create links to to the plant files.

I'm going to start another post seeking advice on my plans for these clematis.

My apologies - I simply did not remember the first four clematises.

Allow a strong structure and plenty of room for montana Grandiflora. I have had it for many years and love it but it does get very big. If I allowed mine to roam free it would take up the entire 16' fence where it is and the two side sections. I love it. It provides great hiding spots for birds and terrific privacy.

Thumbnail by pirl

No apology needed. I didn't expect you to remember or go searching for the previous post. Your Grandiflora is gorgeous, but then all of your clematis are. Actually, your entire garden is based on what I've seen in your pictures. Am I correct in understanding all of the montanas are spring bloomers with no repeats? Hope my husband doesn't begrudge covering up our new fence.

This reply is copied from another post seeking advice on where to plant my new clematis, but thought it would be ok to repeat it here since we were discussing montanas. I plan to plant the 2 montanas in front of our new 6' cedar fence (facing the front yard/street). The fence does have 3.5" gaps between the boards, so you don't feel completely confined. The Grandiflora will be on east side of the house facing north. The Rubens will be on the west side of the house, also facing north. The fence on the east side is probably at least twice as wide as the one on the west site. (The driveway with an automatic gate is on the west side.) Both areas have trees in front of them, but seem to get quite a bit of sun at different times of the day. I would prefer not to use a trellis on either of these clematis. I read somewhere about stringing a wire every so many inches to create a grid to provide a structure for vines to climb on. Since both of these clematis grow so large, I would like them to "cover" the fence, but I don't want all of the growth/flowers to go to the top. I'd rather have a living wall. Has anyone ever tried this or seen it? Any advice?

As far as I know the montana group only blooms in spring. It will cover the fence but not the first year and probably not the second though it is a strong grower.

In any of the locations you described the clematises will find the sun and grow on both sides of the fence - no worries there. I'm presuming they will all get about 6 hours of sun or dappled sun.

You can look for clear vinyl netting to put up and you won't see it from the street. In time the clematises will totally cover it anyhow.

I can't find it on Google so you'll have to imagine this photo of the netting for the tomatoes is clear vinyl with large holes.

Frustrated, I just tried again and you can check out this entire page of Google results.
http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isc...

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.