many hybridizers & have got some great daylilies. I know
there is many good growers & many to get seed from but
if you check out his website you will see he keeps crossing
the same colors to improve the color in the daylilies. He
strives to get the best daylily where as most will come up
with one color & move on to another color as where John
will keep improving the color.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that note Roseman2! I also read an article not too long ago (don't remember where) that talked about John Bentz and his single color legend.
He has been working on a red I believe for something like 6 years. The patience of Job for sure.

I'll have to check out his web site again and see what I can afford. LOL

Linda

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le, LOL!! I only have one of Mr Benz plant. His plants does well on the LA. Saw "Black Horns" sold for over $800 this summer. That's not a typo!! I covet a few of his plants starting with "Princess Bride". Pic of Janet Benz.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have two older Benz's but not any of his newer ones.

HEAVENLY HARMONY, RUFFLED BALLET

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I just bought Big Frosty & I will get Indigo Velvet next spring & hope to get a few others. Some of Gascones daylilies go for $400.to $600 & they sold one for $1200 a while back but John Bentz said they sold one for $2000,I didn't see that one.I would have to dig clear down to my socks to pay that much.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Roseman2, I didn't see those either.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, that HEAVENLY HARMONY is really pretty!

Roseman2, even if I dug clear down to my socks, I still could not come up with enough money to pay $2000 for one daylily, nor would I want to on a single plant, even if I had money to burn.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Karen!!!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

One thing I know for sure.....I could not buy one of Bentz's new ones for sure.

I was looking through my lilys the other day, and haven't got to the Bentz lilys, but I'm still looking. I know mine from him are probably from at least 10 years ago!
I think they are in the bunch I purchased when I first started this crazy craze!!!

Linda

No wonder you said Lol, Mike!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Linda.. I have several of John Benz's daylilies, The last 2 I bought are Big Frosty & Arctic Bear & Arctic Clipper was a bonus all white ones.

Mike .. John Benz has some of the best daylilies & I will buy almost anything that John has for sale or anyone that has a John Benz daylily for sale I try to get.
Roseguy.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have a few. I think the newest are Janet's Magic and Paint It Black and those were registered in 2004.

Here are Janet's Magic and Paint It Black which is a bit splotchy

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Janet Benz and Velvet Thunder are pretty too.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, very nice! I have been looking at Benz's website and adding stuff to my wish list, which now has over 1000 cultivars on it. Janet's Magic was one of them. Most of them are beyond my price range. Many of the ones I really liked were sold out on his website.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

My apology everyone. I THOUGHT I had 1 or 2 of Benz's lilys, but if I do, I can't find them.

I have Buddy Benz, but that one is from Wild.

I saw a lot of interesting ones of Benz, but most of the ones I like are older ones. I'll have to check out the auction and see if I can find a place to plant them.

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

He does have some nice ones.

Karen

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I just bought 2 more plants of John Benz, The 2 are Indigo Velvet & Paint it Black, I just bouught seeds of Silver Surfer X Unkown. I bought seeds on the lily auction of Dr. Stump X Bass Gibson & seeds of Horns X Deadlist Catch & I bought 2 Fans ot Louder Than Thunder from Nicole's Daylilies. Plus several other crosses of high priced seeds.
Jerry.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds nice, Jerry. Bet you'll be anxious to see how those seedlings turn out.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Jerry, good luck on those seeds. I killed a lot of mine just sitting there waited to be planted this past spring. Several of them were not cheap. I am not looking at seeds this winter. Have my own to deal with. Mike

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

First of all I bloomed a daylily this morning that is so true to the picture & maybe even more beautiful than the picture, If you get a chance to look up this daylily you will see that is one of the best formed Daylily you will see. I bought this from Nicile's Daylilies. I have bought many from her & all look like the picture she posts,

The Daylily is" Louder That Thunder " with great colors, You won't get small plants from her. She has some new colors this year I buy from many growers but if you get a chance look up her web-site.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Just for the record. I am in Houston - Sugar Land and my Black Eyed Susan - sprang 2 pretty flowers in mid December. These are the latest blooms I have had.

Can you folks comment on what is the best time to break them up. I have not moved them or replanted in 8 years and the yield is reducing for sure. I hear March is the time to dig them up. My concern is they will not take to flower by May - the usual flowering start. Please comment.

Do you feed them?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello Jamper. BES is one of my fav rebloomer here in the north. It was still going strong into November until the freezing temps came. Some people feed and some don't. I feed them using a combination of different fertilizer. The most common one used is Alfalfa Pellets and Nutricote. Always start with rich soil amendments. Compost, etc. As far as dividing, I can offer you info from others in your zone 9b. Most seem to do theirs in January and February. I have divided them in the spring here with little effect on the blooms. Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks much for your help. Yes BES is a real great flowering plant. My last show was end November also.

Regards and Happy Holidays.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Jamper, Happy holidays to you too ! Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.