mystery sinningia

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I saw a lovely and unusual, to me, sininnngia. The deep burgundy leaves were large, wide and the tips were pointy rather than the more rounded ones and they had the typical quilted texture. The flowers were clusters of yellow and orange and they were quite striking against the dark leaves. I neglected to get a picture and the person who had the plant only knew it was a sinningia that had come from Florida.

Any ideas on an ID for this? I have searched PF and google images.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I don't think it was a Sinningia,because of the flower color.Could it be a name close to that?
Lynn

Maybe a Smithiantha? The blooms sound like a Chrysothemis like 'Black Flamingo'.but the leaves don't sound right.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 12:21 PM

From checking the pictures, the Chrysothemis appears to be a closer match but the leaves on the one I saw were a much deeper red. I will try and get a photo next week, it is a truly neat plant.

I would love to see it.I am intrigued.

Yellow is extremely rare in Sinningia.

Lynn

If I can get a picture, I'll post it, this was an unusual plant.

I asked Thad Scaggs,because he hybridizes Gesneriads,including Sinningia and he lives in Florida.His best guess is a Chrysothemis.

You were correct - it is surely a Chrysothemis. In the bright sun the leaves on this one are a deep red, in a shady situation they are less red and have more of a greenish cast to them.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

That is one gorgeous plant!! Very well grown :)

Connie

It is just beautiful! I have one but it sure doesn't look anything like that.
Lynn

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It is botanically known as Chrysothemis sp 'Black Flamingo' 

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8770717#b

I have several of these and they are just stunning!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes they are stunning and so is your pic Kay!! Very nice!! You need to d-mail me and tell me about that one and your other "several" (grin)

Connie

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Connie, just dmail me and ask what you want to know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.