On the other hand...{Another Animal Story}

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

While it was a sad day for pandas, today was a great day for pot bellied pigs. My cousin Roger in Ft. Worth has a PB pig named Jasper. We all love Jasper and he loves his people. Some mean person tried to steal him and Roger's dog but only succeeded in letting them out of the fenced in yard. Both the dog and the pig were recovered shortly after in a nearby park by Animal Control. The dog got to come home, but Ft. Worth apparently considered Jasper to be an "exotic" animal and said Roger would have to send him to a pig rescue. This was about two weeks ago. Roger found out that he had to register Jasper and they let him come home! We are very excited that Jasper is back home with his family.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

I'm glad that ended well.....pigs are smart pets.....

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Pig story update! Apparently I have been giving humans a bad rap. My cousin went out this morning and found Jasper bumping up against the gate and trying to get it open. It seems that Jasper was the one who let himself and the dog out. There is now a sturdy new lock on the gate so escape artist piggy cannot get out anymore. You're right. Pigs are smart.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Wow!

East Bridgewater, MA

Yes, even back in the 60's, scientists had pigs on the list of "clever animals." We just don't see it as easily because we can't make face-forward eye contact like with "predators" (dogs, cats, etc.).

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I just love pigs. I'm glad Jasper got to go back home. I wouldn't consider a pig "exotic", as it's a domesticated animal. If it were a peccary (desert pig, and technically not related to pigs) or a Russian wild boar, then that would be "exotic".

Karen

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, Jasper isn't exotic. Just a pot-bellied pig, which since you don't make ham and bacon out of them makes them "exotic" in Texas and not livestock, I suppose.
Here's a picture of the escape artist going for a walk.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, how stinking cute!

Karen

East Bridgewater, MA

I bet that critter is smarter than a lot of humans...

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.