Different Magnolia grandiflora

Coushatta, LA

Today I collected seed from an unusual Magnolia grandiflora. It was growing in a very dry, hilly and sandy longleaf pine forest. It had more rounded leaves than usual and they were very dark green. It was a small tree but there were a few more that are about forty to fifty feet tall. The trees were not very wide with short limbs. They did not look like any magnolia grandiflora I have seen. They were growing in a habitat that you would not expect to find them. Wild grandifloras around here grow on hardwood creek bottoms or flatwoods not very dry pine lands. These trees did not show any sighs of drought stress from last years record drought. Last years drought killed or hurt lots of grandifloras in my area. Could this be a new subspecies of grandiflora? Any help on this would be great.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post some pictures?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

You could have found Magnolia grandiflora var. (f.) lanceolata
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/cultivars/magnolia_grandiflora-table.html
It seems to have been melded into grandiflora but has the distinction from the species of having more narrow leaves and pyramidal growth habit. The smaller leaf surface would give it a better chance of getting through a drought. The other thing I found was that this species can hybridize with Magnolia virginiana.

Coushatta, LA

As soon as can I will.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.