Question of the day part 2

Arlington, TX

I keep reading that some plants (sarracenia in particular) do better in pure sphagnum. Has anyone tried that? My plants stay out year round in smallish pots in a kiddie wading pool.
C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine are in the standard 50/50 peat moss/perlite mix. Google Sarracenia potting mix and see what shows up.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Mine are in about 60% peat and 40% sand. That's what the grower used.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I use pure Sphagnum for all that I start from seed and keep them that way for good. I do have a few in a 60 sand 40 peat mix that look great but watering is more crucial do to this custom mix.

Arlington, TX

Mine are currently in a mix as well but I might experiment and move some to the sphagnum moss. Do you think it would be harmful to move them into new pots at this time of the year? The older plants need new soil and the new ones are in pots that are so small I am afraid they might not be able to cope with the cold this winter.
C

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Disturbing them right now could prove fatal for them entering a dormant state. I would wait until they are in a decent dormancy at which time you can divide, repot, whatever.

Arlington, TX

You do that during the winter?

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I do. That is when I up pots, make more cuttings, split or slice rhizomes etc.

north coast nsw, Australia

Mine are in a peat/sand mix also but i have a few ive just chucked in moss until i get around to repotting them all and they seem to be doing fine. I dont like moss as it over grows the plant unless you keep pulling some out. I repot mine in spring/summer and its never hurt any. I just thought dormant/leave alone, growing can mess with. hehe! So your ment to repot them in winter? When the pitchers die down?

Arlington, TX

The larger sarracenia won't be overgrown by moss but small sundews and younger plants can be. I repotted mine in late spring and here in TX that means extreme heat. It was too much for them.

north coast nsw, Australia

Yes i pull moss from my sarracenia pot also..maybe it doesnt get as hot here then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.