Are there variegated Hardy Hibiscus?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

All I see sold are variegated hibiscus that are not cold hardy, are there hardy varieties that are variegated, and what are the cultivar names?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you mean specifically the Hardy Hibiscus (Latin name Hibiscus moscheutos), or are you OK with any hibiscus species that is cold hardy? There are definitely variegated rose of sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) cultivars and they're very hardy. I'm not as familiar with H. moscheutos so couldn't tell you if there are any variegated cultivars or not.

A few examples of variegated H. syriacus:
Sugar Tip http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hibiscus/sugar-tip-rose-sharon-hibiscus-syriacus
Purpureus variegatus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57926/
Miss Jilene/Hill's Variegated http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/202414/

No not rose of Sharon, hibiscus as in the huge flowers and you cut them to the ground each year.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, then you mean specifically H. moscheutos--the way your post was worded about only being able to find variegated hibiscus that weren't cold hardy I thought maybe you were open to any species that were cold hardy and H. syriacus would fit that bill. Hopefully someone else will know if there are any variegated H. moscheutos or not. I'm not aware of any but maybe someone else knows of some.

Belton, TX

There are 2 hybrids of H. moscheutos with variegated leaves...these are not RoS, but commonly called Hardy Hibiscus. The variegation is stunning in the spring, but diminishes by the end of the summer when the plant begins to bloom in huge pie-plate flowers. Both are hybrids. Cold-hardiness is being field-tested this coming winter...I can only attest to the heat-tolerance.

Is it being sold? What it's cultivar name?

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quote from txaggiegal :
There are 2 hybrids of H. moscheutos with variegated leaves...these are not RoS, but commonly called Hardy Hibiscus. The variegation is stunning in the spring, but diminishes by the end of the summer when the plant begins to bloom in huge pie-plate flowers. Both are hybrids. Cold-hardiness is being field-tested this coming winter...I can only attest to the heat-tolerance.
Txaggiegal,

Variegated leaves can have several causes including:

1. A mutation in the cell nucleus which breeds true.
2. A chimera stem mutation where only some of the cells are chlorotic.
3. A variegated condition cause by a plant virus.

Cell mutations are fairly consistent but chimera stem mutations can be all over the place. I have Variegated Daylilies were the fan from each new runner is an unknown. I have new fans which revert back to solid green, while other new fans are albinos which die when separated from the mother plant. Once a variegated pattern is established in a new Daylily fan, it remains that way for the rest of it life, while the game of chance continues with the new runners.

Hibiscus syriacus and Hibiscus moscheutos are very different plants in tems of their response to cold. H. syriacus aboveground stems will survive the winter while H. moscheutos stems will usually die back to ground level. I have observe situations where the stems of H. moscheutos hybrids will survive the winter for a few inches above the ground and new gown will emerge from these surviving sections in addition to the root ball. My impression is that most of the variegated H. syriacus I have observed are chimera stem mutations.

I would like to ask you a few questions about your variegated H. moscheutos hybrids:

1. Will your variegated H. moscheutos hybrids produce variegated offspring from seeds?
2. Can you propagate a variegated H. moscheutos via root division?
3. Can you propagate a variegated H. moscheutos from a stem cutting?

You live in Zone 8b and there is a good chance that some of you variegated H. moscheutos stems may survive above ground.

The Dutch Tulip growers maintained their monopoly of variegated Tulips for may yeas until the word got out that you had to transfer the sap from variegate (infected) Tulips to healthy Tulips. Not lost of the ever mercantile minded Dutch, was the fact that infected Tulips didn’t reproduce and died after a few yeas forcing customers to buy more Tulips from you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip#Diseases

Mike

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Is Snow Queen a H. moscheutos. I have a varigated Snow Queen, but one of the wholesale growers said it would eventually go back to a solid green leaf. Have you experienced this?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, 'Snow Queen' is a tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/47435/

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks ecrane3.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

My Sugar Tips - Rose of Sharon goes dormant here for the winter..

Quote from Moodene :
My Sugar Tips - Rose of Sharon goes dormant here for the winter..

Rose of Sharon is different from regular Hibiscus, but I do know sugar tip and its very pretty. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.