Kaffir Lime Tree ... Where to find?

Walterhill, TN

Does anybody know of any good sources to purchase a Kaffir Lime Tree. I have bought a few online but they only had one branch and a few leaves. I use the leaves for my Asian cooking. Very Hard to find fresh leaves and I prefer a tree so I can cook with fresh leaves. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Virginia Beach, VA

Did you try googling?. Just a thought.
Belle

Walterhill, TN

Thanks Pepper and Belle... I just have not have had any luck ordering from the internet.

I have tried Logees and all I recieved was a little twig with 3 leaves on it(ugh). I checked with four winds growers in California and they only have little one year olds available.

I ended up ordering from meyerlemontree ... they have 2-3 foot tall trees. Hopefully if it comes in as advertised i will be a happy chef.

Virginia Beach, VA

i do not have good luck with orders during cold weather. try ordering early summer so it has all summer to get acclimated.

Belle

Walterhill, TN

Thanks Belle,

That is a good recommendation. i would like to keep adding on and getting a Meyer Lemon tree intrigues me.... so perhaps waiting until early next year would be better..Thanks! Unfortunately I could not wait on the Kaffir(ha) . Meyerlemontree is shipping it to me this next Monday. They said it would grow well Indoors and I could supplement with a grow light during the winter if needed.

Virginia Beach, VA

i have a meyer lemon which I made as a bonsai, however I had few fruits and the fruit is bigger than a lemon and very very sour.

Belle

Walterhill, TN

Hi Belle,

You have been very helpful....

I thought the Meyer Lemon was supposed to be a little bit on the sweet side. Perhaps I will try an orange or mandarin tree instead.

Virginia Beach, VA

They are super sour!!! How do you use kafir leaf?
Belle

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Meyer lemons are usually sweeter, and have a thinner skin than other lemons. Being bonsaied may have something to do with it.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi ThaiCooker,
I bought mine locally since internet won't ship citrus to AZ state.
They are frost sensitive. In your zone, you should keep them inside in winter months.

Walterhill, TN

Hi Belle,

Fresh Kaffir leaves have that "kick" and flavor needed to make all of my soups, pastes , curries and stock taste great. They are essential in Asian cooking.

Fresh leaves are SOOOO much better than dried leaves or powdered for that matter.

@ lovetropics, thanks for the advice. I received my tree today and its is Fantastic!!!! It came with an Indoor care guide. I am sooo happy with my purchase!!! My Mom wants to get a tree now (LOL)

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

By the way, does anyone have suggestions on getting potted Kaffir limes to bear fruit? Mine are young, but I know lots of people with *huge* potted Kaffirs, none of which have ever so much as flowered.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mine flower in a pot. But I remove them because I want the energy to go to leaf production. Their fruit are not much to speak of--have very thick skin and hardly any juice.

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you leave them outside all year long or otherwise do anything special with them? It could just be that they're not getting enough light in the winter, or not enough (or any) fertilizer.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

actually I forget to fertilize it :(. It does not like cold weather. In my zone, I leave it in a container on a patio and it is fine in winter. I can't put in the ground due to our mild/cold winters. In your zone, I would take it inside. If it has light and warmth, then you will see some growth.

Walterhill, TN

Hi lovetropics...
Thanks for the idea to remove the blossoms/fruit. Makes sense that removing them allows the tree to use its energy in growing its branches/leaves. I have no use for the fruit ... so that is a great idea!!!!

I have already brought my tree indoors here in Middle Tenn. I do not want to take the chance of it being exposed to freezing temps.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wish all of you to be safe and well from west coast. Sandy has been very bad girl.

Virginia Beach, VA

I am on vacation and we ate at a thai restaurant. It was very authentic with fresh basil as well as kafir lemon leaves. DH ate the kafir leaf.

i had never had kafir leaf before and it was not bad.

Anyway we talked to the owner and she told us where to buy the plant. We bought 2 at an Asian grocery store. We also bought lemon grass plant one plant must be 2 feet and the 2nd one is about the same size. I was able to negotiate the 2 for $25.00. I looked online and are quite pricey so I am very excited about the purchase.

Were you able to buy one Thai cooker?

Belle

Virginia Beach, VA

My kafir lime is a year old and it is slow grower. I hope it grows more.

We went back to our usual vacation place in Destin florida and we made a mistake of going late. All trees were sold out.

I do not have enough leaves to do any Thai recipes.

Belle

West Palm Beach, FL

Quote from ThaiCooker :
Does anybody know of any good sources to purchase a Kaffir Lime Tree. I have bought a few online but they only had one branch and a few leaves. I use the leaves for my Asian cooking. Very Hard to find fresh leaves and I prefer a tree so I can cook with fresh leaves. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi ..

If your interested in the kaffir lime..please email or text me..

Regards..
Joel 1-561-907-3982
Mrbooyams@gmail.com

West Palm Beach, FL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.