What's this growing in western NC?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I hope these photos give a better view than ones I posted a few weeks ago. Any idea what it is?

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Coushatta, LA

Spice bush maybe.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I hadn't thought of that. I'm not really familiar with Lindera benzoin although I bought one at a native plants sale here in Decatur and planted it not far from where this pic was taken. This won't be the first time I've planted a native only to later see others in the area. I don't mind, that's how I learn.

Also, I believe you posted a pic of Halesia diptera in another thread. I've planted one here in Decatur and hope to see blooms on it within the next couple of years. It's another new plant for me. I also planted a Halesia tetraptera at our place in NC.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Looks like Ilex verticillata to me. The berries are too round for Lindera. Lindera has berry that is more ovate.
Hope this helps you out

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Someone else I showed the pic to suggested Ilex verticillata and I right now that's what I'm thinking it is. I've planted a couple of those too but it's so nice to see them come up on their own. It's a very nice plant and just in a bend of a path my wife has made.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If you post this on the Plant ID forum it will be viewed by a much wider group.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I put it on the plant ID forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.