Brahea armata palm

Sumter, SC

I love the Brahea armata (blue hesper) palm, but didn't think it was cold hardy below zone 9a. That is until I saw pics of 2 growing in NE Ga - zone 7b. According to the grower, the larger specimen, which is still small, has survived temps in the low teens with no damage. I'm curious if anyone is growing this palm here in the Carolinas. The striking powder blue color reminds me of Bismarckia nobilis. Has anyone ever seen this palm marketed here in the Carolinas?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I haven't seen it sold around here. Love the blue color and it does look like the Bismark.
Barb

Sumter, SC

If I go to Fl this winter, I plan to buy 1, along with a Mule palm. My queen palms grew very tall this summer, and I'm debating whether I should bother with protecting them. ( I would need a 10' ladder.) The NWS is still forecasting a cold, wet winter for the SE, and I'm trying to ward off visions of a devastating ice storm. How are your queen and mule palms doing?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I still have the queen palm I bought 2 Springs ago. With the very mild Winter we had, it came through just fine without any protection. I Haven't decided if I'm going to protect it this year. I probably will since it doesn't take a lot of effort and with all the rain we've had, it's really getting to a decent height. mine aren't as big as yours and all I normally do is chicken wire filled with pine straw around the base, up about 4'.
The mule palms are growing nicely, but still too small to trust outside all Winter. I need to check on them. It might be time to pot up. gotta keep those guys growing!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Sumter, SC

I just realized my reply never posted! Sorry, Barb. I had noted that your Queen palm looks great, and looks about as big as mine. Trying a Queen in your zone 9a micro climate makes sense, but I'm still glad you have your butiagrus hybrid as a backup. I'm still debating if I want to go to a lot of trouble protecting my Queen palms. I almost wish ground voles would attack and destroy all of my out of zone palms. As long as they look good and it's doable, I will feel driven to protect my children from winter's wrath. I did notice that I could only find old fashioned heat producing Xmas lights at Lowes yesterday, and there weren't many. The 1st winter w/o heat, those palms are toast in my location.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I feel the same way! Since they managed to live, I'm obligated to protect them.
I like how your palm is planted in amongst other plants. Very "wild" looking.
Barb

Sumter, SC

You're fortunate you can protect your baby w/o supplemental heat. Do you know if HD is selling incandescent Xmas lights? I'm thinking I should stockpile, but I want to wait for them to go on sale.

Thanks for complementing my pic. I also find that not bothering with weeding gives my yard a rustic, wild look. ;-)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yes, we do carry them, along with single bulbs.
Barb

Sumter, SC

Thanks, Barb!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.