How to store/keep over Gloxinia (Sinn. speciosa) bulbs

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone! Hope all had been well with each and every one! I have been busy with my daughters this summer so I haven't had time to post much. Also, the wicked heat of this summer made my streps especially look frazzled, so didn't have much to share photo wise. I am in the process of repotting everything, and the cooler weather is helping to revive them too.

My question is about Sinn. speciosa.... I bought two bulbs in the spring, and one grew and grew really nice foliage all summer but never bloomed, then finally died back. The other didn't grow at all until just recently and now it is starting to put out some nice foliage. The first one, I just cut back all the dying foliage to the soil. So... How do I store it? Will it just go dormant in the pot, or do I need to lift it?

Thanks in advance!
Have a blessed week!
Karen

BTW... Happy belated Birthday to all those I seem to have missed! Sorry!

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi Karen,
There are lots of ways to store them,but the easiest way is to just leave it in the pot,put it in a dark place and check every now and then for new growth.You can give it just a tiny bit of water,just a tablespoon or so for a good sized pot,to keep the tuber from shriveling.When it sends out new growth you can re pot
it and resume regular watering.
Glad to see you back!
Lynn

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Karen,
Here is a good Sinningia site.
http://www.burwur.net/sinns/sinns.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.