Veltheimia... growing through winter???

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Hi all,
I grew about a dozen Veltheimia bracteata bulbs from seed in 2011. They survived very low temperatures last winter (-15 deg C). OK, so now they are more or less ready to be transferred to their final planting site. Some of them have just started to grow again.
Has anyone any advice as to special care that I should take? Soil, site etc. Or would I be better advised to put them in a larger pot in the greenhouse for the winter?
Over to you...
Best

Mike

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mike,

Veltheimia are native to South Africa, dry summers with cool moist winters. Since you are in western France they might resent summer rains.

I have found that all plants are tolerant of conditions that are outside of their 'normal range'.

Try some in the ground and some in the greenhouse, potted up, over the winter.

Did you get your seeds from http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/ ?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

No, seeds came from NARGS seed exchange.
Thanks - will try that.
In fact Poitou-Charentes has the most sun and least summer rain of any region outside the Midi. Typically there is very little rain between May and mid-September. This year the early summer was fairly wet, but since mid-July there has been a drought that ended last weekend with an enormous deluge for three days.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Then you have a good climate for the SAfrican plants.

I am a big fan of Pelargoniums, aka Geraniums>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale, as always your pictures are great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.