The small joys of life - a blooming Spider Lily

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

A couple of years ago, a kinetic Spider Lily sculpture by Susan Pascal Beran was placed on the New Bern waterfront. The first red spider lily in the US was brought to New Bern via ship from Japan by sea Captain Robert Williams in 1854. We bought five bulbs last year, and they are blooming! It's fascinating how a small garden success can brighten one's day.

Thumbnail by Entlie
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh how pretty, you should post that photo in Plant Files. I have not noticed any of mine yet but i am going to go out right now and check. The local history is so interesting and how nice to hear the city is embracing it.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

The sculpture here is beautiful, too. Metal and glass, and has a pleasant chiming noise as it moves. Here's a photo.

Thumbnail by Entlie
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness! That sculpture is beautiful! I received my lily in a trade last year and was delighted to see it bloom! Definitely want to get more of these!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Forgot to add the picture!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Xeramtheum!

I think mine are in too much shade now. Darn those trees, if you feed them they will grow.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia, Mine is pretty much in all shade with a little filtered light, under mostly pines. It might get a little afternoon sun when the shadows are long but not much. When I was researching spider lilies I saw a beautiful photo of hundreds if not thousands growing under pines. So shade might be ok. Do these multiply, and if so how fast?

Mine are under a live oak and in much too much shade, the branches hang low. I believe, once they are acclimated, which might take a few years, they do multiply well. I am going to have to relocate mine when the foliage comes up again in the spring.

I have posted this picture before, it was taken many years ago at Brookgreen Gardens when Jim Martin was the horticulturist. Someday I am going to replicate it when I find the pefect spot.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Mine are just starting to come up. Love 'em!
Barb

Summerville, SC

I have seen greenery, but no blooms yet this year. I love the "spider lilies"! Lycoris or something close to that. I have a friend who has a very established garden and they are around the base of her trees and make their entrance yearly. I am aware of a few years ago her son dug some up for her to share. Now she is rebuilding the stock sort of speak. I have bought red and yellow. Red seems to return and they are in dappled. Unsure if the yellows didn't return because they were captured by squirrels or if they didn't like the full hot sun. Happy planting!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

We planted ours about a year ago in the summer. This spring we had green foliage which disappeared, and in September the flowers arrived, lasting a couple of weeks. Now the green foliage is back. I was a little surprised to see it.

Entlie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Mine green foliage is back too .. been here for almost a month now .. maybe we'll get some Spring blooms?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.