Beautiful Rain Today

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

This Summer has been so strange~~~ Nice that cool, damp weather is here bringing all the flowers I have missed this Summer.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The Brugmansias are all in bloom

Thumbnail by picabo
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I love the rain! Moved here just in time! The Magnolia in the back yard has been treating me to a dozen blooms here and there for the last month, promising me of Springtime Delights yet to come!

On a side note, our dog is desert born and raised and really didn't know what to make of all that water that is pouring down from the sky. He wonders why his silly human keeps going outside and standing in it!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi KMom.. I know the feeling~~~~ My daughter brought her old horse from Montana to Nashville because he couldn't take the 30 below zero winters anymore. She forgot to tell him about the 100 degree Summer days and the horse flies.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi Betty! I was thinking about you lately, and wouldn't you know it today I see you posting again! I also saw that you won or placed in quite a few categories in the County Fair! As usual, you keep doing such beautiful work! The quilt and the painting, especially are just beautiful, and as usual, your Frog Jam sounds wonderful. I loved the photo of the calf! I voted for that calf, even though I entered that category as well. And so glad you won with the barn photo you entered. Is that one of your neighbors? Gorgeous!

Well, anyway, good to 'hear' from you again. Hope all is well.
Elaine

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Elaine, Good to hear from you. I have tried to get back in touch with all my friends on here. Mother has kept me busy the past two years. She is in a Nursing home and adjusting well. I have talked to Kim a few times but it's been hard to get back in the chat groups.

I didn't know they had posted the results from the fair yet, I looked earlier but thought it would be tomorrow.

I entered photos of barns that belong to two of my neighbors. One just down the road belongs to a nice 79 year old man who was born on the farm. He still takes care of almost 400 acres alone. I hope that one won. I made the picture back in the winter planning to do a painting of it for him this Christmas. I need to get it started. The other is about 2 miles in the other direction, it's a pretty red barn beside a little lake. The road overlooks the barn and lake

I entered two calf photos. One was a newborn standing by Mom, just learning to stand. The other was on the same farm but a few days old. This farm is across the road from me. No one living there anymore, such a shame, a beautiful farm. The grandson takes care of the cows and pastures.

The Jam is one that my grandmother used to make. Lyn has gotten real interested in making Jam and Jelly and I decided to make some of this for her to try The painting is of a pair of geese at a lake near me. I keep hoping they will nest by my pond, too many foxes and Coyotes for them I think.

I'll look up the results, thanks for the compliments.

Good to hear from you
Betty

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Elaine,

congratulations on the beautiful picture of the baby goats. That was my favorite of all. Reminded me of my young goats that thought the front porch of our house was for them. They would stand on the window seal of the living room window and watch us. I finally had to give up the goats since I couldn't keep them in the pasture.

Thanks for the votes. I have some friends that will love a gift membership.

Betty

Betty, I always have trouble finding the County Fair results, so I d-mailed admin and they sent it to me. If you can't find it, here is the link.

http://davesgarden.com/contest/daves-garden-county-fair-2012/

I'd love to have your recipe for the Frog Jam when you can find time between quilting, making jam, etc to send it, lol! I used to make a lot of jams and jellies, but somehow can't seem to work it all in these days. Yes, I'm still working. But I am going to make some apple butter soon and I have a recipe for bacon jam I want to try (made with maple syrup). I'll probably have to try the Frog Jam next year when I can get some fresh figs.

I just saw Kim posting again. Haven't heard from her in a while. Glad to hear your Mother is still around. I love old barns. When I ride with Earl on the motorcycle I take my camera and take drive-bys of old barns. Most of them don't turn out so good, but I love looking at them. So many stories must be there. And when we visited Kentucky this past summer, I was captivated by all the quilt barns.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I live in and Old farming area and lots of these old barns still around. They have torn down several in the past few years. There is one beautiful old barn that had a full basketball court in the loft. That farm was sold and a lot of changes on the property. I keep wanting to drive back in there and see if the barn is still there. I know they tore down a smaller one on the property. :^((.
Thank you for the link

The groceries around here all have some beautiful fresh figs I always use the Brown Turkey Fig, or another one that is also a sweet dark one, I can't think of the name though. The Bacon Jam sounds good. I would love that recipe if you have time. Sounds like a good Southern gift LOL

GrandMothers Old Fashioned F.R.O.G. JAM

Makes about 5 cups
1 quart of fresh Figs
2 cups of Fresh Raspberries
½ cup fresh Orange juice
1 tsp minced Ginger (Start with a piece of Fresh Ginger about the size of your thumb) remove the peel before grating.
I tsp Orange Zest 2 ½ cups of white sugar
1 tsp of lemon Juice
1 pouch of liquid pectin

F. Wash the Figs, cut off stems, cut in half and throw in a blender or Food Processor. Pulse to chop well. You can also use a potato masher. Dump blended figs into a large bowl.

R. Mash the Raspberries until crushed but still in lumps. (You can Sieve ½ of the Raspberries to remove some of the seeds, I usually don’t, I like the seeds.) Add to Figs in bowl.

O. Squeeze the juice from oranges, you will need ½ cup juice. Zest the orange peel into long strips (Don’t use any of the white part, it taste bitter.) Add juice and zest to the fruit bowl.

G. Grate the peeled Ginger and add to the bowl.

1. Stir fruit mixture to mix well, cover and let sit for about 30 minutes.
2. Add fruit mixture to a large saucepot. Stir in Sugar and lemon Juice. Bring to a Full Boil over High heat. Stir Constantly or it will burn,
once it comes to a boil that can’t be stirred down add the fruit Pectin and return to a boil for 1 minute.
3. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
5. Ladle into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8” from the top. Wipe rims and cover with two piece jar lids. Screw bands on tightly
6. Process in water bath for 10 minutes.

Betty, Thanks so much for the F.R.O.G. jam recipe! Sounds delicious! Here is the recipe for the Maple-Bourbon Bacon Jam. It is from a restaurant in Charleston, according to a friend of mine who gave it to me. It really makes a small amount, so if you like it you probably will want to double the recipe. The restaurant served it stuffed in olives; she serves it like a tapenade or as a spread on a tomato sandwich.

1 pound thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup coffee (brewed)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pepper to taste

Directions
1. Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan and over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
5. Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours (I cooked it almost 2 hour).
6. Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.
7. If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.