Fall and Evergreens

Warrenton, VA

What is it about Fall that gives me an incredible urge to find and plant another evergreen? Are you like this? I just bought a Nellie R. Sevens holly, and a BIG ONE, and yet, the minute it got planted, I was looking for another evergreen. Tell me I'm not alone!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I like planting evergreens this time of year, it is very tempting. They have such good deals for the diyer at box stores like HomeDepot on evergreens this time of year. Two days ago, I was at HomeDepot, (I wanted a red Rose Tree they had for $19.96) and there were some really good deals on BIG evergreens. They had a Weeping White Pine, a Tanyosho Pine a Colorado Blue Spruce something like 'Globosa' but that wasn't it.
There was others for $49.96 but I don't recall them, they were all BIG.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I LOVE my Tanyosho pine. Check out it's bark!
It's spectacular!

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Wow Weerobin, that is nice! It rivals River Birch even, (BEFORE it gets vandalized)! That is nice. But, are you sure that isn't 2 of them stuck together now? I've never seen multi-trunks of Tanyoshos. It's like a characteristic of Tanyosho to have a "mop" kinda crown on top of a tall, single stem, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before, many times..lol Maybe you bought 2 of them very small and planted them together or bought a small one and it grew big branches down low? I've only ever seen fair sized ones for sale and they only have one stem, I didn't know they were sold any other way. But, in any case, that bark is beautiful. I'd be tempted to put a fence around it or a security camera on it to help keep bored and curious people from running their hands down it and ruining the bark, which happens.
Will

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Gracye, you may have ACS (Aquired Conifer Syndrome, a name coined by the American Conifer Society to describe this need to have more conifers). Don't fight it, go plant some more! They are so awesome at all times of the year.

Weerobin, I am unfamiliar with this pine, but it looks wonderful.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, Will. If you ever get over to the Missouri Botanical Garden,
you can see their Tanyosho's. They're huge (?15+ ft tall).
And they have multiple stems, too. The bark just gets better and better w/ age.
So if you want to see mature specimens, MoBot's the place to go.
(At the far end of the lake in the Japanese Garden).
Mine's about 8ft now -I used to candle prune in spring to keep it shorter,
but now it's getting too tall, so it's on it's own.
And my biggest fear about protecting the bark is DEER, not humans.
We're heading into antler rubbing season - always anxiety-provoking.
I've had too many mangled casualties of that particular sport!

Hi fellow Missourian.
Thanks, I'd like to get to Mobot someday, I see on the web and hear great things about it. If there was more room here in the yard I'd like to get a Tanyosho, but my housemate (the homeowner) would see it as an albatross, she doesn't like plants and landscaping as much as I do.

I live in a residential neighborhood, oddly enuff deer come around at nite and in the early morning. We've seen them come around in groups. There is a chain-link fence around this 80' x 120' yard and they just hop over it like it's not there. I haven't seen where they damaged anything though. I feel for areas though that aren't so urban and where people have nice plants and landscaping for deer to tear all up. I'm like most people, I like seeing them at a distance in a field but not so much up close where they tear stuff up, I've heard before of them referred to as hooved rats.
The only wildlife we want to see here is songbirds and hummingbirds!

I have looked at pics of Mobot, maybe I'll get there someday, it's only about 250 - 300 miles away.
Will

Warrenton, VA

DEFINITELY have ACS. When you know the inventory of your local nursery, well, I am sure that this is the telling sign, eh!
Guess I'll head out to Home Depot soon...
But I DID drool over some HUGE Nellie Stevens hollies this afternoon...and at 75% off, well, I think that they are calling me to buy them.
Weerobin-I am totally jealous of your pine. WOW!
The next horrible thing I have is the urge to buy that lone weird specimen...so hard to restrain myself when that doggone neat weeping thing is draping all over the clearance section...I could all too easily end up with a yard full of one-and-onlies...again, am I alone here?
Shortleaf-I think that my hummers have gone for the season. Are you still seeing them?
One last thing for tonight, kind gardeners, can anyone give me a realistic ultimate size for the Nellie R. Stevens holly? I'm so confused and jeese, I want to buy more but want to space them correctly...you know?

Yeow, 75% off, that IS a deal! Speaking of HomeDepot, I was there today along with my trusty camera. Here is the $49.98 ones, I like their Tanyosho and a Weeping White Pine myself! - The next photo is the Tanyosho and then the Weeping White Pine and last is a Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'. I must've been looking at those to their left in the first photo before, I don't believe those are Globosas. They had a nice Weeping Alaskan Cedar also. - Here is the Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'. -
No, the last time I saw a Hummer at my fake flower Hummingbird feeder was about a week ago, it must have left too.
Sorry, I don't know about the Nellie Stevens Holly.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is the last photo of the year I'm afraid of that Hummer. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.