Is this a peony?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I posted this on plant ID, but there may be someone more knowledgeable here.

My new yard is interesting because I inherited it, and you never quite know what's there.

I was digging in a shade bed to put in some hardy geraniums and I found this. There appeared to be no plant there at all.

Is this a peony? I've had some that never showed up, and maybe this one was simply in shade that was too deep. And it was pretty far down. Whatever it is, it's budding.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Oooh, Donna what a lucky find! I'm not expert, but I had a couple peonies that looked very similar to that.

If it were mine, I'd put it in a container at peony depth and see what comes up next spring.

This past spring I was raking for spring clean up, and I found a bundle of much smaller roots that looked like they weren't completely dead (only mostly dead, lol), but I didn't recognize it. I put it in a pot and kept it watered, and it turned out to be an asclepia that I had planted the year before than somehow got heaved up from the soil. It grew quite a bit this summer although it didn't bloom. I'm not sure what to do with it now.

Mystery plants...gotta love em!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Koshi.

I took your advice. I had left it in a damp towel so I ran out, grabbed a post, filled it with a mix of compost and soil and watered it.

I think that it has been there for many, many yaers. I am eager to see what it looks like in bloom.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.