Sally's Plant Swap: After Word

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Good morning all!!! I know some have already started to say some sweet things about yesterday at Sally's, but I thought I might start a new thread where we could all share our thoughts, and where Gita can sharrrrrrrre (heeheeheee) herrrrr photos. =) (rrrrrrrroll those R's Gita!!)

I just don't know where to begin, honestly. This was my first time to one of these amazing events, ... and it really was an "event", at least to me. I was seriously overwhelmed by the general out-pouring of overt lovingness... is that a real word? Well, it is now! I don't know if you all realize just how beautiful you really are, it makes me want to cry (tears of joy!) at being soooo welcomed with such loving open arms, by EVERYONE.

A few key points/people:

Sally, again, THANK YOU, and Happy Birthday!!!!!!! Your home is really lovely, and your DH is a true Gentleman!

Betty, I was soooooooooooooooooo happy to finally get to meet you in person!!!!!! (and give you your BIG HUGS!!) I only wish we'd had more of a chance to sit around and gab more; my goodness I was just floored by .. so much and so many! We'll just have to arrange a get-together! =)

Robin, GOD BLESS YOU a trillion times for letting me follow you to Rt. 3, it could not have been quicker and easier!! I swear I saw your halo twinkling in the setting sunlight as you turned off!! < =D

Gita, I've already told DH about yourrrrrrr MMMMMMMMMMeatballs and that they WILL be on the menu for next week. =)

Coleup... you are just the epitome of COOL. WOW, what a treasure you are!!!

I know I'm missing so many more.. but in my heart, I'm not missing out on prayers of thanks for anyone, honest. Thank you all for the wonderful and wonderous gifts to my ever-growing and ever-improving gardening endeavours, they will be lovingly pampered!! And thank you ALL for such an incredibly wonderful day!!!

Speedie
=)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It was an awesome day, and how much nicer with you joining us. I'm really looking forward to visiting with you again at future gatherings.

Sally and her DH made us all feel so welcome, and their yard was perfect for a swap. Such a variety of plants, both in the ground and in pots. And such delicious food. So glad Sally got to enjoy the leftovers for dinner. We were still so full that dinner was skipped at our house last night.

Great to visit with everyone and to see Sally in her tiara. Super day all around.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

It was truly a wonderful day! So enjoyed seeing everyone, great food and great people. Sally and Mark, thank you for hosting, and give Addy a treat for keeping the squirrels at bay.

Speedie, a halo? Boy the sun must have really been in your eyes!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wanted to c/p my comments from the old Thread---

I want you all to know how I felt about it too....and still do...
It was Grrrreat---If you are wonderrrring what speedie means by all thode "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's",
we were talking about languages--like my Mother Tongue of Latvian--and I said I had a hard time getting rid of
rolling my "RRRR"s" when I came to the States. Now and then--I still catch myself doing it........:o)
******************************************************************************************************************

What a wonderful, laid back day we all had!!!

Sally, you did an amazing job with the Swap. It just flowed...with NO stress and no "musts"...
We had great food and an amazing surprise for Sally. She was floored!
The weather was perfect--and we all set up in the shade of her trees. Cool!!!

Great yard and lots of room. Easy conversations between all. Moving around was effortless.

We all got to meed Terp--who is a handsome, tall, young man. He fit right in among us "oldies"...
We got to meet Chantelle's nephew--who is intensely interested in plants.
He was going around with his phone asking questions about plants he got--and typing in the information.

All I can say--it was a successful day and Swap. Kudos to you, Sally!!! You GO, Girl!!!!

Gita

Crozet, VA

A note from the Watts in Crozet VA. John sends word that he had a great time as always. He has sat here for the last hour at least commenting on different things that went on yesterday. He loves you folks. Speedie, my first swap about six years ago I came home feeling the exact same way as you expressed feeling. I had never in my life been around such a kind and giving group of people. I have to admit to having qualms a few times the past week about making the trip. About half way up the road yesterday morning I was still considering asking John to turn around and take me home. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.....am I ever glad I did. For one thing, I didn't want to miss Sally's hosting the event....if there is one person at Dave's I wouldn't want to to disappoint in any way, it would be she.

I would have also missed the chance to meet speedie and terp which would have been very disappointing. Paul, I have to admit to wondering what type of person you would be due to having you participate in the pre-swap chat, but never sharing anything personal about yourself. I was really imagining meeting a shortish in stature, fiftiesh gentleman who was going to prove to be very boring. Boy was I surprised to meet you. Thank you so much for joining us and I hope that you will continue with your plant interest and know that if there is something plant wise you want, Dave's Garden is the place to find it. These folks thrive on sharing.

Susan, what a joy you were to meet. You fit right in with us crazies. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself as much as you have said. I don't have to tell you that you aren't going to find finer people anywhere......remember we each have our own little oddities, but that makes us, us.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank those of you who seem to look out for me in terms of making paths safe for walking, and offering seats and the other many ways you folks made me feel cared for. Pat and Pippi both went out of their way in offering a helping hand, and I do very much appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I am like speedie and could comment on each and every one of you and the special things you did yesterday to make me feel a member of your family. I really enjoyed talking with those of you I had a chance to talk to, and sorry if I missed chatting with anyone. I noticed that Mark that had a smile on his face every time I saw him yesterday, and I am glad that he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Sally, I am with the others who think you have a great place for a swap. I loved seeing your gardens and the many unusual plants you have. Gosh, that cactus at the corner of your house was truly amazing!!! Thank you and Mark so much for hosting this event. It was a great get toghether.

To each that shared their plants with us.....thank you, thank you, thank you. I know that I will have lots of fun when I go later to find suitable homes for them all.

Jan, I really look forward to attending the swap at your place next spring. Yep, gonna really work on making that happen. Until we meet again, you all take good care and I hope that everyone has a great week coming up. Happy planting all.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Speedie, thanks for starting our followup thread!

Judy thanks for linking us to it from that lengthy discussion thread- it was about to sink under its own weight!

Everybody- thanks so much for coming here and so many nice comments and for wearing yhosr special glasses that make bugs and plant disease invisible
B-)

And your incredible surprise and giving me that queen for a day feeling

And all the pitching in helping each other with plants, lots of lifting going on there
And all the great food!! My oh my , you all did the work there!
Oh heres more to say but i'm still in shock over the fun we had...

Crozet, VA

Sally, you deserve a Queen of Everyday title. I personally think you are the greatest!!!

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby said it all: "Queen of Everything" to you, Sally! We had a great time -- I'm so sad we had to arrive late and leave early, but I loved every minute of it. Sally -- your gardens are wonderful. Thank you to everyone for your generosity! I don't know quite how I came home with so many beautiful plants!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:09 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

And to all our kindred spirits, past, present and future, near at hand or far afield, well met or about to meet, what joy comes when our paths cross and tarry for a while and that we recognize each other..bliss! One of my perennial favorites:

"And a youth said,
- Speak to us of Friendship!
And he answered, saying:
Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love
and reap with thanksgiving.

And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger,
and you seek him for peace.

When your friend speaks his mind you fear
not the "nay" in your own mind,
nor do you withhold the "ay".
And when he is silent your heart ceases
not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts,
all desires, all expectations are born and shared,
with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most
in him may be clearer in his absence,
as the mountain to the climber
is clearer from the plain.

And let there be no purpose in friendship
save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure
of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth:
and only the unprofitable is caught.

And let your best be for your friend
seek him not with hours to kill
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need,
but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship
let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things
the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

I humbly and gratefully remain a very refreshed Judy

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I have been spending the past days with my friend, Millie, who will have her double mastectomy tomorrow. We have been best friends since 5th grade. We hugged and cried together as we read this. Thanks for the beautiful post.

On the bright side, it sounds like you all had the usual WONDERFUL time that is germane to the MAG swaps!! See you all next time with Millie in tow.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:20 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Our Reigning Hostess and Birthday Gal SallyG!

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSGardener and Chantell show their grief to learn that some knave had snuck in the food tent and eaten everything before the appointed meal time. Ric seemed suspiciously pleased, while Ruby, John, ecnalg (Pat), Happy w/DH and Aspenhill mope with glasses of water and empty stomachs.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Newcomer UMD_Terp (Paul) worships at the swap's alter under the watchful gaze of acolyte Gita.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb99 -- you nailed it!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Appointed by Queen SallyG as swap bouncer, Paul keeps remorseful Ric away from the dessert table.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup and lively newbie Speediebean, Donnerville, and Queen SallyG herself seem pleased by the turn of events as others return from successful foraging at nearby Wawa and Taco Bell.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee

I will jump in and say it was a ' top ten ' kind of day. From the food to the plants to the friends to the weather. Just AWESOME!!!!! It reinforced my thinking that I am sooooo glad I found DG.

I agree: Sally should be the queen of every day!!!

Already looking forward to next May. Glad some of you have kinfolk nearby so you can make a weekend of it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

In a star chamber session Queen SallyG listens as Aspenhill, Jan23 and Ecnalg share their indignation and demand justice. Happy_Macomb (Devon) and DH look on approvingly as Ric is staked to an ant hill.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

R O F L !!!!!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I enjoyed every minute. The food and company exceeded my expectations. I look forward to the next one.

Yay! More pork!!!

(oops did i say that out loud?)

Happy to report Terp had a nice haul for his wooded lot dry shade under trees.

Who made that wonderful fruit and angel food cake? I didnt hear and wanna know!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David, you got some great pictures, but it is your captions that have me laughing. What a quick wit and sense of humor. I had a wonderful time. It is always so good to get together, and great to meet the newcomers Paul (terp) and Susan (speedie). Sally's place was perfect for a swap, and the weather couldn't have been any nicer. Best day I've had in a long time. I'm sorting thru the pictures I took, and will get them posted soon.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 5:52 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Someone must have "fixed" my ice tea, I don't remember any of that. Did I enjoy myself? Ric

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric, I think the "fix" in your ice tea gave you super human powers - look how effortlessly you were striding around with a table over your head - now there is a man on a mission. Jan is in awe LOL

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Queen Sally with her crown and sceptor, sitting on her throne.

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for the wonderful plants and yummy food.

Judy, that garlic tasting was so much fun! Honestly, where else in the world would I get to participate in a garlic tasting! I'm planning on getting some Music garlic and planting them this fall. (See you on the garlic thread!)

Chantell, it was great meeting your nephew. I hope he comes to more swaps!

Sally, thank you for your hospitality! The shady sitting area was just perfect. I didn't get a chance to compliment you on your new kitchen! I bet you're happy that's all finished. :)

Paul and Logan, thank you for helping us load/unload our cars! Speedie, it was great to finally meet you! I don't think I could have gotten those bamboo sticks in my car without your help.

Holly, all the cannas are in the ground! It took me about an hour to dig into my clay, but they're in there and ready to put on more growth before the frost hits. And the giant hosta is also in the ground. Btw, is your clay really that red? It's interesting how different it looks/feels from the yellow clay that I have.

Finally, thank you all the birthday surprise organizers!

edit: Oops, got the names confused!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 7:16 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Our wonderful hosts Sally and Mark, and Addy too!

Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good food, good times...

Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes our clay really is that red, and hard.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Very fun captions. Gracious, I did look like I was demanding justice, which is sooo not like me.
Great fun replaying moments in my head. Thank you for posting pictures everyone.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great play by play...glad you all enjoyed yourselves, sorry I missed it!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will try to post my pictures tomorrow. Seems we all took similar shots...
Will postdifferent ones--if I have any.

I just got home from work around 9:30 and am bushed----
Store meeting and Crab Feast--plus working from 12-7 and then all the meeting and crabs til 9PM...
LONG day!

Bedtime......................Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb99: I hereby nominate you as the official swap narrator.

Ric: You seemed to be having a wonderful time, even when the ants were swarming over you. We couldn't figure it out. Must have been whatever was in that iced tea. Holly finally rescued you, at the command of Queen Sally.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Roses - prayers headed out to you and your friend...asking God's strength, comfort and healing... Missed you, Bec and Jill yesterday - hugs to each of you!!!

Not only late to the swap but now late checking in...seriously the side tour through DC was NOT planned nor wanted. Worked both jobs today so....my plants sit outside waiting patiently to be tended to. First a huge thanks to Sally and DH for such a beautiful place to have our get together. I wish I could've spent more time looking at those gorgeous plants you all have around your house!!! Second...I want to thank each of you for providing such a warm DG welcome to my nephew. He was SOOO excited. I wish I'd had more time to talk to everyone...but he (as Gita found out) was full of questions - gotta love it! On the way home he was mentioning many of you by name - esp wondering if those of you with packed cars made it home ok...LOL Wish y'all could've seen my BIL's face when he saw Logan's stash of plants!!!

David - I was reading your captions and laughing so hard - I snorted...seriously! Thought my tea was going on to the laptop!! Then I laughed even more b/c I pictured Pat nodding her head saying 'pay backs for almost decapitating me with the bamboo."

Oh and for each of you (btw, thank you speedie for putting up with my teasing - when we were both trying to unload our stash of pots) that graciously took my years and years (they breed, I tell you!) of pots and supplies - I and each member of my tribe thank you!!! Holly - I forgot the orchid stuff, I think...please remind me for the next one.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:01 PM

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh my GOSH, I LOVE starting out my day Laughing my Head Off like this!!!!!!! What wonderful captions for the pictures!!! I second the nomination for greenthumb as Official Swap Narrator!!

Gita, next time we talk, I want to hearrrrrrrrr morrrrre Rrrrrrrrrr's, please. =)

Chantell, I believe you, they do breed!!!! I swear, when I got home, I had MORE pots on the shelves than when I left the house!!!!!! < =/ (they must be part rabbit)
Note to self and everyone else: Next Swap, I will NOT bring pots unless someone specifically asks me to! =P heeheeheee.

Roses, yes Ma'am, I am in agreement on those prayers for Millie, AMEN!!! And I will REALLY be looking forward to meeting her when you bring her to the next get-together! =D (and you too, of course, heeheeheee)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was laughing so hard Ric could hear me whooping from the front porch. Love the narration Greenthumb.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

So, all in favor of green thumb as official narrator. Say AYE. Not even gonna ask if any are opposed. I was so glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth as I read. Heehee.

This truly is family. Everybody burst into song ala Pointer Sisters. We are f a m i l y.......

Wasn't that so funny? Me too!

Special mention to Judy coleup for that great screened gazebo! I've never seen one of those, but it goes up similar to a tent, with poles linked by bungees. It was easy to put up and so roomy. Two thumbs up!

Predicting rain tomorrow, good for the new plants. I started yesterday but just as far as taking out weeds and dying things to get space ready.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

It was wonderful day!!! I enjoyed every moment of it. It was great seeing everybody and meeting new friends.

Many thanks to Sally for hosting the swap.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK--Will now see what pictures I can add--without duplicating things too much.
So many of my pictures turned out too dark--as a result of the bright, sunny background.
Seems I do not have the option on my camera to compensate that.
Too much work to go to Adobe Photo Shop and fix this.

1--Yours Truly
2--4-man job putting up Holly and Ric's gazebo...
3--A view towards the house and the dining area
4--The shady area under the trees most of us set up our tables. So nice to be in shade!
5--Chantelle brought her own tree--a gift to sally (Plumeria)

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.