'Purpureus Variegatus' Rose Of Sharon seed

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I heard 'Purpureus Variegatus' does not set seed because the flower buds never open, but what if someone removed the petals and hand pollinated, wouldn't it then be able to set seed?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some hybrids are sterile--not sure if that's the case here or not but since the flowers don't open properly it wouldn't surprise me if it was also missing some critical reproductive parts or wouldn't set viable seed. And even if you could get it to set seed, they won't necessarily come true from the parent so if you're hoping for more variegated plants you'd be best off starting from cuttings. But if you don't care what the babies look like there's no harm in experimenting and seeing what happens.

The color of the flower is nice so even getting that would be nice. Trouble is the plant is pricy and if there is no hope of any seed, I might not buy it.
Even if it can't set seed, but can pollinate another flower, that would be great too.

Can anyone else answer my question, I need to order the plant this month but only if I know it will be able to set seed or pollinate another rose of Sharon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.