September 14th, 2012: Hoya (Hoya serpens) by atisch

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The Bloom of the Day for September 14th, 2012 was Hoya (Hoya serpens).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-09-14

Almost thought it was snow flakes! Nice close up

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Fantastic!

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks again for the recognition and compliments. I appreciate it. This plant is about three years old from a small cutting. It's been growing in a protected spot outside for the past 18 months or so, where it appears to be thriving. It gets 1 to 2 hours of late afternoon sunlight. I moved it outside as it was not doing very well for me as an indoor plant. [Same as with several other cool-loving Hoyas I have.] It has been blooming off and on all summer and is continuing to bloom at the moment.

Waihi, New Zealand(Zone 1)

Hoya in a fir coat! Wonderful plant - great shot - thanks for sharing it, atisch.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Now that is really close and so clear. I have a hoya and keep it outside also in a pretty shady spot with some filtered sun. I've only had it since very early spring, but it has been a constant bloomer since. I don't do anything to it, let the rain water it. I love the sweet smell of the blooms. I tried to photograph mine real close but my little point and shoot just couldn't handle it.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks sunkissed. Most simple digital cameras are capable at taking close-up pictures such as this one. Any compact digital camera that has a macro feature and enough megapixels (about 8 or more) can produce such results. In fact this Bloom-of-the-Day photo was taken with a 12 megapixel, Canon PowerShot compact digital camera.

Here's another Hoya serpens picture taken just a couple of days ago with the same camera. This one is backlit, which I think enhances the crystalline appearance of this flower.

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch

SO beautiful! You've got talent.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Pirl,

Thanks, but it's more like too much time on my hands...lol

I love your lily and iris photos. NIce!

Allan

Even people with time on their hands would have a rough time matching your shots, Al.

Thanks.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the info Allan, but my 8 year old Nikon Coolpix 4800 just too temperamental on close ups...sometimes I luck out, but most the time it just can't focus that close.

Your second shot wonderful also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.