Garzalia, ever heard of it?

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

In a nursery this afternoon, saw a beautiful white blossom that look for the world like a small gardenia, but the plant and leaves are definitely like an azalea. The nurseryman said it is a garzalia ( he says a cross of the 2 plants). It is a beautiful plant that seems to have a high bud count.

I didn't realize the gardenia and azalea could be crossed.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sure sounds more like one of the azalea camellias, they are hard to find and even harder to grow. I have not heard of the gardenia crosses but you never know these days.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm confused, Ardesia - is an azalea camellia a sasanqua? I have been looking at two dwarf sasanqua's and trying to make up my mind....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a totally new one for me!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am on my phone, not my computer and I don't know how to cut and paste a link but if you google "camellia azalea plant" you will see what I am talking about.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Well! The link I looked at is from Longwood Gardens in PA. I had never heard of this plant before, probably because it's endangered in the wild and there has been limited success in propagating it, either from seed or cuttings.
Camellia azalea is a species native to China. It is a camellia with leaves similar to an azalea, hence the species name.
I also Googled "Garzalia" with no luck.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.