Someone from Seattle sent me seeds of Heliotrope

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I got seeds of Heliotrope via mail from someone who is living in Seattle. I tried to find out which member did send me the seeds, but I can't find it out. I'm very happy with the seeds, so I want to thank him or her. And maybe I promised to send something in return. There is nothing in my tradetracker, so I must have forgotten to make a note of it.

If the sender reads this, please let me know.

Jonna

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Not me!

By the way, B and T World Seeds still says that Stachys lavandulifolia is not available. .

This other place may have them in stoc k, and I plan to place an order once I find three more unusual seeds of interest, plus substitutes since they often run out.
Can you help me out with that by looking at that site and letting me know what you would find interesting?

P.S. A caution: they do say this:

"Our seed will come true to name in the majority of cases. If you are ever unhappy with our seeds, we will replace with new seed or an acceptable substitute. "

and:

"during our travel months, roughly late April to late October, you may experience response delays of up to three or four weeks."

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Ric;ALPLAINS Seed Catalog Sphaeralcea to Zinnia
www.alplains.com/Catalog12.htmlk have you seen this link Maybe ,maybe not.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Or how about this member;
Stachys lavandulifolia agave57 You know what happens when I get interested, LOL

Corey, do you realize what you did to me???
I've been busy almost all day checking the plants of this website and I'm only half way, haha.
My wish list will be extended with about 80 new ones I think. They offer a lot of rock garden plants. I started to grow rock garden plants last year. Not that I have a real rock garden, but a lot of them grow very well in my garden. Hope to have some seeds of rock garden plants to trade for.
I will send you a PM when I'm finished looking up all plants. Don't think I expect you to order some of these for me, but since you asked me to look for the special ones, I will make a list of plants that are special for me.
Buying seeds is too expensive for me, so I will be patient until I can trade for my wishes.

I had a look at your wish list, which is very short.
I can send you the Thymus praecox as a plant. I think it's strong enough to survive the shipping. Once there was a car on a part of it during a long weekend, but it didn't show any damage. I bought 5 tiny plants (2x2 inch) five years ago, now I have an area of 5 feet x 3 feet.
I hope to be able to harvest seeds of the Thymus serpyllum, so if I'm succesfull, I will send you seeds of that.
Last year you were looking for seeds of Galium odoratum. Are you still looking for those seeds? This plant hardly sets seed, but I was able to harvest some.
Anything else you are looking for?
I will have seeds of about 60 new ones this year and I will get some specials in tradings.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I should have siad it more clearly: I did find Stachys lavandulifolia in the Alplains catalog. I ws hoping Jonna would find a few other things there that she was interested, because I owe her MANY favors!

I'll try Dmail.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Jonna!

>> Corey, do you realize what you did to me???

I do feel guilty, but Eveleyln just did the same thing to me. She told me about some year-end sales got me excited. However, I knew better places to get those seeds, and wound up ordering 4 things fr5opm Hazzards and 10 things from Kitazawa (Asian Brassiacs, mostly. I'll be offering them in the Hog Wild Swap.

I definitly want to send you the Stachys lavandulifolia - I've been trying to get it from B&T for months (it seems like years). And of course (being a seed fanatic ), I'm glad they have a minimum order! So I plan to get things you might like, and split them with you. I have an ulterior motive: if I don't succeed in establishing the plants in my yard, several years from now you might be re-offering those same seeds, and you might send some back to me, to try again!

I'm starting to hit my limit of available garden space, and the next bed I hope to create will have fairly heavy shade. How about if I wit until I have more room and more time to try new varieties, and THEN ask you for something?

( I should take Thymus off my wish list, because someone sent me plants that are spreading well. Maybe next year or the year after I would ask you for some of the "so tough you can park a car on them" variety! Do they allow shipping plants into the USA from Belgium?)

I'm so far behind in my garden plans that this Fall I started seeds 4-5 weeks late. Now I have to hope for a late first frost, or I'll only have "baby" Bok Choy.

I will share my seeds always, especially if it are seeds from rare plants.
It's not really allowed to send all plants to the USA, but I pack everything in 'private' packages and my sendings were never confiscated.
For your shade garden I can offer you seeds of Viola labradorica and hopefully seeds of Viola sororia (see picture) next spring. I can also offer you a few kind of Tricyrtus species, some hardy Geraniums and quite a lot of other seeds. Yust let me know what and when you want it.

Will get back to you about the Asian Brassica's in the Hog Wild Swap.
Got some Bok choy/Pak Choy seeds from you. Some of them started to flower immediately, but some of them brought me really good and tastful plants.

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Shade-tolerant Violas would be great! I'll almost certanly ask for some of those seeds next month, because I have plans (and some room) for more violas.

Hmm, "Toad Lily" and "Hairy Toad Lily"! I like the name and they bloom in the shade and are Perennial in my Zone. I hope the name "Tricyrtus" does not mean "tricky to grow! ;-) They sound great. And I do have room in the shade ... I think my next batch olf soil will be sued to create a rasied bed in the shade!

>> Some of them started to flower immediately,

I find the same thing. Frost almost always makes them bolt right away, even thoguh they like cool weather. Or dry soil makes many bolt.. Or heat. Somke are saiod to prefer shortening day length, and hence are easier to grow in the Fall.

Some claim heat tolerance or cold toleranc e (or both), or "slow bolting". I think almsot any kind of stress sends them into bloom. Of course, "Yu Choy Sum" are SUPPOSED to produce the floweirng stalks, as a delicacy.

Please do let me know what interests you in the Alplains catalog.

Tricyrtis is very easy to grow, I always winter sow them whit great results.
Attached photo's of Tricyrtis puberula and Tricyrtis miyazaki. From the first one I already have seeds. Still waiting for seeds of the T. miyazaki and T. formosa.

Well, almost everything in the Alplains catalogue interests me, haha.
But here is my Top 10:

1. Stachys lavandulifolia !!!
2. Penstemon clevelandii v. connatus
3. Asclepias latifolia
4. Phacelia sericea
5. Trifolium brandegei
6. Sedum oregonense
7. Stanleya pinnata
8.Tephrosia virginiana
9. Trollius albiflorus
10.Zauschneria garrettii

But please, don't spend a lot of money to send me seeds I would like to grow. You will already make me very happy with seeds of the Stachys lavandulifolia.

And please contact me as soon as you know what you want to grow in your shade garden. I always have quite a lot of seeds that are not listed on my website, because I only was able to harvest 1 or 2 packets.

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Those "Toad Lilies" are very pretty. That's a strange name for pretty flowers..

These would be wonderful, and since they can stand shade, I ought to have room for them next spring.

It seems to me that we would save on postage if you just save some for me if there are enoguh to harvest, and send them along in the Piggy Swap.
Viola labradorica
Tricyrtis puberula
Tricyrtis miyazaki
T. formosa

I can do the same with the Alplains seeds, unless you would need to wintersow them before that swap is over. If you wnat to WS them soon, I can easily mail them to you sooner..

Thank you for "enabling" my seed obsession, since splitting them with you gives me an EXCUSE to order from Alplains.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Corey ~ Have you ordered from Alplains yet? Wow, what a bunch of interesting seeds....

I'm glad that I can enable yu tour seed obsession, haha.
Why is 'Toad Lilies" a strange name? I tried to find 'Toad' in the dictionary, but couldn't find it.

To be honest, I would like to winter sow in December. The seeds from the swap will not arrive here until early/mid February and I noticed that's too late for some seeds.
I don't mind to pay the extra postage for sending the seeds earlier. It's not so expensive to send a small envelope to Belgium, just a few dollars. And certainly not as much as commercial sellers ask for shipping.

For you shade garden I have also the following seeds:

Trollius asiaticus
Trollius europaeus
Aruncus dioicus
Aruncus aethusifolius
Impatiens balfourii
A mix of Aquilegia's
Several species of hardy Geraniums
Rodgersia pinnata
Tellima grandiflora
Thermopsis caroliniana
Tropaeolum majus several species
Tropaeolum peregrinum
Adenophora bulleyana
Browallia americana
Calceolaria mexicana
Centranthus ruber coccineus
Centranthrus ruber alba
Cerinthe major purpurascens
Cerinthe major yellow
Chelidonium majus (can get invasive)
Cimicifuga racemosa
Cotoneaster divaricatus
Dianthus superbus
Dicentra spectabilis (just a few seeds)
Echinacea tennesseensis
Filipendula ulmaria
Fragara vesca
Heuchera - several species
Lamium garganicum laevigatum
Lamium orvala
Monarda dydima purple
Phyteuma scheuchzeri
Polemonium caeruleum azuro
Primula, several species
Pulsatilla vulgaris
Puschkinia libanotica
Tinantia erecta

Have a look at those plants to see what interests you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Evelyn

I wrote up the order form but have not yet printed it or sent it (I use the printer at work). Their minimum order is $15, which comes to 4-5 pkts. If you're interested in fewer than that, would you like to add some to my current order, and I'll forward them to you?

I think they collect many of their seeds from the wild, which I admire. As climate changes, highly specialized plants might lose their niche and die out.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Jonna,

No problem, I'll send some to you as soon as I receive them and split them. After looking through your catalog, it's quite a thrill to find any seeds that you do not already have!

By the way, if you have a list handy of your next few picks, it might be good to add a few "substitute" choices to the order. It sounds as if they might be "OUT" of many varieties, and if the cost of "available" pkts falls below $15, they won't ship the order.

A toad is like a frog, but dorsn't live in or near the water. Over here, they are "famous" for being ugly, having warty skin that is usually a dirty color. As a kid, I liked them! Latin name: Bufo bufo.

Now I understand the 'Toad Lilies',haha. I had those toads too when I lived in the Netherlands. They were all over the place, but here in Belgium we hardly see them.

I made a list of seeds I would like to grow, looking at the website of Alplains.
This is what I would like to grow . Some plants might look the same, but I just added them all, hoping I can get at least seeds of one of them.

Aethionema schistosum
Agastache cusickii
Aloinopsis spathulata .
Angelica grayi
Aquilegia flabellata v. pumila fl. pl.
Aquilegia jonesii
Asclepias latifolia
Astragalus barrii
Astragalus chamaeleuce
Besseya wyomingensis
Calochortus eurycarpus
Calochortus nuttallii (pink form)
Ceanothus prostratus
Chionophila jamesii
Clematis hirsutissima
Collomia debilis v. debilis
Cymopterus planosus
Daphne kosaninii
Delphinium pavonaceum
Delphinium virescens v. wootonii
Dudleya calcicola
Eriogonum bicolor
Eriogonum caespitosum
Eriogonum gracilipes
Eriogonum kingii
Eriogonum ovalifolium v. nevadense
Eriogonum ovalifolium v. nivale
Eriogonum thymoides
Eriogonum umbellatum v. porteri
Frasera albicaulis v. cusickii
Gilia caespitosa
Gilia subnuda
Glaucidium palmatum
Haplopappus macronema
Heuchera hallii
Heuchera pulchella
Horkelia hendersonii
Hymenoxys lapidicola
Hymenoxys torreyana
Iris bracteata
Iris bucharica
Linum rigidum
Lomatium mohavense
Lychnis wilfordii
Mentzelia involucrata
Mertensia brevistyla
Mertensia lanceolata
Mertensia macdougalii
Michauxia campanuloides
Mimulus lewisii
Mirabilis multiflora
Oenothera caespitosa v. marginata
Oxytropis besseyi v. obnapiformis
Oxytropis besseyi v. salmonensis
Oxytropis campestris v. cusickii
Oxytropis megalantha
Oxytropis multicep
Oxytropis oreophila
Oxytropis sericea
Pelargonium endlicherianum
Penstemon abietinus
Penstemon acuminatus
Penstemon albidus
Penstemon auriberbis
Penstemon cardinalis
Penstemon clevelandii v. connatus
Penstemon compactus
Penstemon cyananthus
Penstemon cyaneus
Penstemon davidsonii (pink form)
Penstemon debilis
Penstemon duchesnensis
Penstemon flowersii
Penstemon frutescens
Penstemon grahamii
Penstemon humilis
Penstemon humilis v. brevifolius
Penstemon laricifolius
Penstemon lemhiensis
Penstemon moffatii
Penstemon monoensis
Penstemon murrayanus
Penstemon newberryi
Penstemon nitidus
Penstemon palmeri
Penstemon perpulcher
Penstemon pumilus
Penstemon retrorsus
Penstemon rupicola
Penstemon superbus
Penstemon tusharensis
Penstemon uintahensis
Penstemon virens
Penstemon wardii
Penstemon yampaensis
Petrophyton caespitosum
Phacelia sericea
Phlox grayi
Phyllodoce empetriformis
Physaria acutifolia
Physaria alpina
Physaria chambersii
Physaria eburniflora
Physoplexis comosa
Polemonium carneum
Polemonium chartaceum
Polemonium confertum
Polemonium viscosum
Potentilla thurberi
Primula parryi
Ptilotrichum spinosum
Ranunculus andersonii
Rhodiola integrifolia
Ruellia ciliata f. depressa
Ruschia pulvinaris
Salvia pachyphylla
Saxifraga oppositifolia
Sedum oregonense
Silene plankii
Silene regia
Sphaeralcea coccinea
Sphaeromeria capitata
Stanleya pinnata
Synthyris missurica
Synthyris pinnatifida v. laciniata
Synthyris platycarpa
Telesonix jamesii
Tephrosia virginiana
Townsendia glabella
Townsendia incana
Townsendia jonesii
Townsendia leptotes
Townsendia mensana
Townsendia parryi
Townsendia spathulata
Trifolium andersonii
Trifolium brandegei
Trifolium dasyphyllum
Trifolium haydenii
Trifolium macrocephalum
Trifolium nanum
Trifolium monoense
Trollius albiflorus
Vella spinosa
Viola beckwithii
Wulfenia baldaccii
Zauschneria garrettii

I hope to get some seeds and grow plants to gather seeds to trade for next year. I really love natural plants (no cultivated plants, NO Monsanto). My aim is to have a garden with only natural plants. That doesn't mean I don't want to grow hybrids. Some plants do easily cross, but I dont' mind that, because it's natural. Even some of my seeds will turn out to be hybrids. But I really don't want to grow plants that are manupilated. Nature givs us so many plants that I like.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Great, I'll add more "alternates" to the order.

Evelyn, you should speak up very soon if you wnat in on the order! I'll me mailing it in the next day or two.

Corey ~ The list is long. I don't want to hold you up. It might take a while for me to get a list of wants. surely not more than 10, as Jonna mentions. I will try to get seeds from similar altitudes and growing conditions. I'll let you know, OK? Thanks!

OK, I will check it out tonight.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

As long as you want more than 4-5 pkts, there's no reason to rush to combine orders. Their minumum order is $15 and shipping is only $4.

I also wondered about them being over-adapted to high altitudes. But you never know what will do well where!

You're right...just go on ahead. I may not even order anything, but their delphinium selection is quite extensive and they may be for hot summers/cold winters here...

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am looking for the yellow impatien seeds. I am not very good at Latin names but here's what I have:
rose campion
French Hollyhock (love 'em, nothing like a perennial that blooms the first year)
Moonflower vine seeds, about 2 years old
sugar snap peas
chives
turban squash
ironweed
cleome
maybe a cutting from a named angel trumpet or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.