Bottlebrush success?

Sumter, SC

I planted one callistemon rigidus (Clemson hardy bottlebrush) last summer, and it made through winter w/only minor leaf burn. It has been blooming intermittently all summer - it will interesting to see how it fares if we have a colder than normal winter.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I like those but I've heard they are really messy! Is that true?

Sumter, SC

Other than bullet proof Woodlander's red and a NOID weeping BB (which was killed by ground voles in it's 2nd season), this is the 1st BB that has survived a winter in my backyard. I don't think they're messy - have a friend in Biloxi, Ms, who complains about having to cut back their rapid growth at least once a year. I think this cold hardy BB would love your climate. Summerville is at least a 1/2 zone warmer than my area. They are hummingbird magnets, and lately I've noticed some type of small moth species swarming all about the flowers.

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised at how showy the flowers on my Woodlander's red were this year. With a little age (only a few years) the flowers are stunning. I posted a pic on the DG plantfile page. I think you would enjoy a BB in your yard, and I think rigidus would be happy in your climate.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 2:41 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Think I just might try one! If you see any volunteer seedlings, throw them in my direction if you please?

Sumter, SC

Will do.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think they're the opposite of messy. the old leaves do fall occasionally but they are so tiny that you really don't even notice.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking i remember someone saying the flowers were messy and dropped seeds all over the place.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've never even seen a seed. the flowers fall in little pieces, a little at a time (think red threads). the seed pods or where the flowers were, hang on and become part of the stems forever. that probably doesn't make sense. i'll try and find a picture or else take one of mine.

ok, see this picture? the empty pods stay attached and where the seeds go, i don't have a clue. fall to the ground of course, but i've never had one pop up underneath.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1526/

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I've never seen a seedling either and they are not messy at all.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's good to know! I'm trying to avoid stuff that requires a lot of maintenance as I get older.

Sumter, SC

You should be able to find nice size upright specimen for no more than about $25. I've seen Woodlander's red specimens priced @ $15. Think of it as a gorgeous hummingbird feeder that never has to be filled.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the bees are mad for them! all of my honeybees go straight to them, when in bloom.

Sumter, SC

Bees, butterflies, moths, hummingbirds - they all find those beautiful blooms irresistible!

Johns Island, SC

I've got a "standard" Bottlebrush that I got from either Woodlanders or Tony Avent about 25 years ago. Never had a single problem with it,of any sort. Just a beautiful, well-behaved tree, that is an eyefull every spring. Never had seedling problems (although I wish I had!), never had any problems with it at all. It just "growed like Topsy" and got prettier every year. It's one one my prized "successes"! I'd say try it by all means...theyr'e intrigueing plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.