The nip in the air puts me in panic mode!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ack! Sitting outside first thing this morning .. feeling the cool and looking at everything that has to be put into the greenhouses for winter makes my brain panic even though I know I have time .. at least I think I have time.

Sumter, SC

That stressful thought crossed my mind, too, but it was quickly replaced with joy that the heat and humidity is temporarily gone. But you're right - we must prepare for a colder than normal winter and hope the weather 'experts' are wrong. The first light freeze in my area usually occurs in early Oct. ;-(

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

You really think the heat and humidity are gone?????? :-)

Sumter, SC

Only temporarily. There are occasional hot days here the midlands through Oct. Another reason to enjoy this little respite.-)

I just realized you intended your question for MmeX. Never mind. lol!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 5:37 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I hope they aren't gone! I haven't even started building the 2nd greenhouse!

Sumter, SC

Wow, you're building your own GH!? I'm impressed! You must post pics.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My post was to all who think the humidty, bugs and heat are gone. LOL Everytime I think we are finally over the hump the temp rises again.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's not actually a greenhouse proper. I was going to build something for all the hardy tropicals in pots out of pvc pipe and by the time I figured up the cost of pipe and fittings, I discovered for about 30 dollars more I could essentially buy what I was planning to build and probably a lot more sturdier! Here is a link to it:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202718682/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=greenhouse&storeId=10051#.UE5_5yJQCXE

I'm planning to surround it in plastic sheeting and put the cover that comes with it over the plastic. I'll even heat it just to the point of "don't freeze". All the reviews said it was a good deal and easy to assemble .. and the best part it fits perfectly in the "tropical corner" spot. I'm also thinking since it's put together with wing nuts according to the description that I can possibly disassemble it into two pieces and store in the back out of the way during the growing season.

Sumter, SC

I bought 4 of those GH's from Lowes last year. I got mine for 75% off, because the boxes had gotten wet. They do assemble easily and they hold a lot. I don't like the zipper openings (I've already broken 1), but I still recommend it. Putting a layer of plastic inside is a smart idea. I tried to cover mine with an outside layer of plastic last winter, and it was a hot mess. I'm sure you know to secure your GH, so winds don't blow it away. (yes, that happened with 1of mine last winter.)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Glad to hear that you recommend it .. I'm still working on how to vent it since I'll be putting the plastic on it .. The picture is of the area it's going into .. being surrounded on 2 sides by the fence will help keep it from blowing away but I am going to use some of those screw down dog tie out thingys for the side that's not next to the fence and probably physically attach it to in one spot on the fence just for stability.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Sumter, SC

Great location, MmeX, and I'm glad you're going to physically attach it to the fence. My early Oct freeze/light frost is always followed by mini heat waves, and I've found that my potted tropicals can handle the brief chill.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

sorry, didn't mean to reply here.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 6:31 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 6:32 PM

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I brought my orchids in 2 nights ago.
I like your plans to protect your plants. I have my queen palm in a corner of my wooden fence next to my hot tub. Makes it much easier to protect.
I planted my big bird of paradise (white blooming kind) in the ground, on the South side, next to the house. It's just gotten to big to bring in another year. I am going to protect it, but it'll be very interesting to see if it survives.
Barb

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 7:00 PM

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I like being able to edit posts, but wish there was a way to add a picture!
Here is one of the BoP newly planted in June. It has grown since then.

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yum ... now that I have a good safe place for my tropicals I'll feel more secure about getting other things like the BOP and alpinia gingers that only bloom on old growth .. After losing my "precious" Candy Cane Curcuma ginger this past winter and having lost things in previous years I decided no more .. I have too many unusual and hard to find plants that cannot easily be replaced.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.