Gibberellic Acid?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a failing favorite hibiscus and need to help it as best I can. I know Gibberellic Acid is a definite must in rehab of plants. So in a hurry, I bought some powder off of Ebay. Does anyone know how to mix it for a folar spray? All the instructions I am finding on the web are for seed germination of marijuana plants... no help...

Thumbnail by blupit007
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've only heard of it for seed starting (not for marijuana--it helps for other seeds too). I don't know if it would help your hibiscus or not--depends on what caused it to be unhealthy in the first place. I can't really tell here, maybe watering issues?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I think the poor thing has been stressed to the max! It gets sooooo hot and humid with intense sun here in CT. Then the night time its cool. Sometimes I am a bad waterer.... So it could be any number of things. It has been in this shape for almost a year though. Yesterday I sprayed some Superthirve on it...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It really strikes me as a cultural issue which is not something that giberellic acid is likely to fix (or Superthrive).

You may think your summers are hot & humid, but compared to other places like FL and TX where hibiscus do just fine, I suspect CT summers are relatively mild. In hot areas they can sometimes appreciate a little shade in the heat of the day, but I would think they'd be alright with full sun where you are. The spacing I see between your leaves suggests it may not be getting enough sun (unless there used to be more leaves in between and they've fallen off?) Lack of enough sun wouldn't be causing the other symptoms you're seeing though so I definitely wouldn't increase sun until you get it healthy again.

They appreciate consistent watering and will get stressed otherwise--whenever I've neglected them for a bit and let them get too dry then watered thoroughly they end up getting some yellow leaves as a result. Consistent doesn't mean necessarily a ton of water, but make sure you aren't alternating between bone dry & drowning them. Are you fertilizing it at all? They do need some fertilizer to do their best (although don't use one with a lot of phosphorus in it) and if it's stressed from other things I'd let it recover from that before fertilizing it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.