What computer program will help me do a drawing like this?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The attached photo is from Tips for Designing Perennial Beds and Borders by Steven A. Frowine and The National Gardening Association (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/tips-for-designing-perennial-beds-and-borders.html). I am designing a new very large bed, and I have pre-purchased hundreds of plants for it already. I tried using a landscape program (Realtime Landscaping Plus 2012 Trial), but I found it hard to use (admittedly, I wasn't willing to give much time to learning it, but I plan to use it only once), and all I really need is to be able to place and move around plants on a grid, taking into account their mature width and height. (I'm not doing any hardscaping.) Ideally I'd like each disk to represent the plant's mature width, and for each plant to be labeled with its name and mature height, since I'd like tall plants in the back and short plants in the front.

Writing it on pencil on graph paper will be a nightmare, once I start rearranging. I'd prefer to do it on the computer, but I don't know what program to use.

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!