Help ! We need help solving this problem

Glendale, OH(Zone 6b)

Something is making a mess of our yard-especially the mulch. It shows signs of having been dug, and tossed or thrown(like a dog does with its front paws through it's legs) across the walkways. Some plants have been pulled up and left, others are showing having been partially dug under then abandoned. My husband has gone out to clean the mess numerous times per day and we never see what's doing it. the final straw is that in the beginning we found a robin which had been killed and the remains cleaned up and the remains were very sparse. We found bits and a few remains of a squirrel this morning. We have a new puppy, only 12 weeks old, about 12 lbs. and I watch her closely when she goes out to potty. It has really become unsettling. Any ideas and if so what do you suggest we do?? borninnyc

Barberton, OH

My thoughts go to a hawk, may have had a hard time subduing a squirrel. Just a guess. Watch the pup closely

Herman

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

More likely a feral cat....

Glendale, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for taking time to try and help us. I am so paranoid now that i nearly had a stroke the other day when this giant bird slowly flew right over where the dog and I were standing. when I ran inside with pup and described it to my husband realized what a case I was becoming. It clearly was our local pond's prime resident - a Heron......!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Recently I had a window open at night, peacefully watching TV in the middle of the night, when I heard a terrible shriek and scuffle outside the window. I grabbed a flashlight and found a hawk in my neighbors pine tree, WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY up in the tree, with something small and brown. I've spotted a Coopers hawk and a red hawk from my yard, and I live in very suburban Westwood! We've also spotted a red fox, and, of course, bazillions of deer.
I usually go with red pepper flakes scattered around the base of a new plant, or deer scram (there's also a rabbit and dog version) around my new plants. Bird netting can also be loosely draped over anything tempting. I have a cat that brings me frequent proof of mice and moles. Oh, there's also a pepper spray for the plant so it won't be so tempting. The scent of the puppy may start to deter some critters, too.
Pat

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

That much of a mess sounds more like a dog or coyote rather than a hawk or a cat.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think it is a hawk. Hawks grab their prey and go to a safe place to eat. Don't think they would eat in your yard and risk becoming prey to something else. I think it's more likely a coyote or fox maybe a cat.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes I agree. I don't think a hawk would do the damage to your flower bed. We have the occasional hawk around our place. Right now we have a litter of puppies and so I always scan the sky before letting them out to romp. But I have seen their kills and that doesnt sound like it.

Are you uot in the country? (I am sorry if I missed this info.. )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.