Winter-prep for DLs?

Spring City, TN

What do you do for your DLs in the Fall to get ready for Winter?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I remove scapes but that's about it. I have never fall fertilized but I know some people do.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I just remove scapes as well, and I trim back the foliage somewhat and remove all the dead stuff, just to neaten up the beds. I mulch if I can, but they don't really need it. The mulch I use is composted cow manure, so it's getting some fertilizer at the same time, and improving the soil as time goes on.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Karen, is Black Kow similar to the composted cow manure that you use? I have never seen any of it personally, just heard people mention it.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm not familiar with Black Kow, but I assume it would be similar. I just know that the stuff I use is a really nice, fine texture with a nice brown color to it. Looks very natural.

Karen

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Black Kow is great composted cow manure. Like mentioned above, its fine and not at all clumpy, easy to mix in. It comes in a bright yellow bag. Down here its everywhere, good thing its nice, cuz no other choice.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I can't remember WHO I saw advertising it! But, I was hoping to pick up some. I know it wasn't local - we don't have ANY selection on anything....but it seems like it was somewhere relatively close. Gotta remember where I saw that.............

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have not heard of Black Kow. Would certainly like to try and find some next spring. Maybe Lowes or Home Depot sells it.

(Zone 7a)

I found their website because I was curious, too.

http://blackkow.com/_html/bkcomposotedmanure.htm

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well it doesn't look like they sell it in Michigan. No wonder I haven't heard of it, lol.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

They don't sell it here, either. I bet I could find something similar, but at $90 a truckload from that local place, I doubt I could get bagged stuff for less.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I saw it at Menards in Bridgeview, IL. Small bag for about $7. Maybe two or three pound bag. I don't think so!!!!!! BFG!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! $7 for a 2 or 3 lb. bag? They're out of their minds!

Karen

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

lol...yea thats not going price. I dont know how much it weighs, but I pay about 6 bucks for the big bags. 25lbs maybe. I did pay about 10 bucks for a little bag of plantone the other day. I darn sure didnt want to, it just helps the new plants so much, I went for it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - at those prices.... I will stick with the bags of clumpy cow manure..... :)

What is plantone? never heard of it.........

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Its made by a company called Espoma. If you google Plantone, it will come up. Im at a loss on how to copy and past on this MAC. Still learning. Its an organic soil conditioner and it was someone on Daves that told me about it a good five years ago. I was always willing to go the extra step when I got a plant or two. I would fall off the wagon if I got a box full. It certainly made a differece. I also always now water in with a transplanting/starter fertilizer. Big help.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I've gotten that Plant-tone before. Good stuff, especially since it's organic, and lasts longer than synthetic fertilizer, as it's slow release.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_plant.html

Karen

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

We dont have the 20 or 40 lb bags at HD. Im guessing that would be more economical, if you can find them.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I would prefer to get this Gro-tone, as it's a foliar spray, which makes applying so much less time consuming.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/pdf/Gro-tone.pdf

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.