What's Happening in your neck of the woods-Chat with friends

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG, I'm losing it..please please accept my apologies..misnamed the previous thread so here we go again..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273243/

Can't you tell I'm tired..

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan had posted:

I'm first?!?!?!
Thing about Bobs is... We're Bob & Susan, and there are 2 other Bobs in our church. Soon, another Bob & Susan will be joining our church too - she's a retired pastor from another church, and he's her DH.
My sister Ruth is married to a Bob, and my sister Evelyn Used to be married to a Bob. Can you imagine the conversation - Me: "speaking about your Bob, my Bob and her Bob" LOL
Oh, and my DH's father's name was Bob, too, so when I spoke to my MIL she referred to her DH as Bob and my DH as Robert, but we did vice versa - to me my DH was Bob and my FIL was Robert. It was a bit confusing when we spoke.
PLUS the fellow that introduced my DH & I was Rob to me, and Bob to my DH... LOL oh, and it doesn't stop there...
Remember my last job where my co-worker was Linda Joan MacKenzie, and her DH was Robert to my Susan Joan MacKenzie with my DH Bob?
I really could go on... but I think I've done enough LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Viola Ann posted:

I found you!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Let's hope I'm on the straight and narrow now...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Did any of you see this link???

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278446/

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Am I here yet .. should I knock together the heels of my Ruby slippers ^_^

~M~

Betty, checked out the link .. feel so overwhelmed .. would be nice to have something of Carols in my garden ..
Perhaps Susan will be lucky enough to purchase something ?

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" yes would have been a nice remembrance and each year when it bloomed we would know carol was smiling down at us!

Glad you found us..lol. What a time I had of it. Lol

Just went to check my roast, checked it about an hour ago, been vigilant not to burn it, thought should be done by now, dahhhhh when I checked it last time turned the stove off and didn't put it back on, sooo I'm glad it wasn't for tonight din/din, will be lunch meat.

Darlene just called, said she went through Mike's clothes today and will bring me a bag of it so I can make something for her as a remembrance/keepsake..says its his solidest clothing, the ones he most like wearing..was a lot for her to get at and give to me..glad I've got a lot of projects that have been sitting done so I can take some time and make her something..says it doesn't have to be a designers piece, just something simple to cover her when she is lonely and feeling blue!

Susan that is one heck of a lot of Bob's lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Something of Carol's???? I'm in....... please send me anything that is originally from Carol please.....

Yes, I'm dipping and bobbing all over the place LOL (I'm the "dip" and he's the "bob" LOL)
Funny when I'm "married off" to the current "other 2 Bobs" in our church. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the other couple "Bob & Susan" start coming to our church? It's going to be "are you referring to the choir members, or the retired pastor & her DH?" Or "are you referring to the choir members Susan & Bob, or the Congregational Susan & Bob?" lol
Here's hoping neither of them join the choir LOL (well, would be nice to have new choir members, and I hear she has a lovely voice)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, I posted a link earlier to the plant sale

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I found you again. Didn't realize that I wasn't on the same link on which I had posted earlier. Now to find the other one and unwatch.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Caroline for posting the info on Carol's Sale. Her garden is fabulous.
Betty
V Ann's seeds were from specific plants and I have labels on them but for fun here is a group photo with one of the smallest by the white stick. It's even smaller than my Cherish. This is about 1/2 of them and you can see how diverse they are.
Then the funky one is not a great photo it's a bit over exposed but you can see the two color's through the hail damage.
I hope it will recover a bit better and then I can send a better one for V Ann. She had suggested that I start them inside early spring and that is what I did. Then they went to this nursery spot and now they need to be moved.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52 Thumbnail by annabell52
Victoria Harbour, ON

So miniature, you've been a good mother to them..look healthy!! Bet you baby them..

Are we able to grow miniatures here or is our winter temps too much for them?

They called for hail several times this summer but thankfully it missed us.
Do you cut your hosta's down in he fall?a friend of mine does and says the plant grows stronger.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
V Ann is the expert here on Hostas.
Mini's are all over Canada Lots are good to Zone 3 (me) and I have been successful with them. Yes they get babied but I wasn't able to stop the Hail! I wait until the foliage dies back and then I remove it to reduce the chance of disease's. I don't cut them when they are healthy and standing up. Maybe V Ann has some advise in this regard. I have learned a lot from reading on the Hosta forum and asking questions.
There are also some good Canadian sources for Mail order Hosta's that we can get and they have thousands to choose from.
Alberta Ann

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - I have quite a few small and mini hostas and they do just fine here in Ottawa. I DO have most of them in pots and so I generally plant them in my veggie garden for the winter though I have overwintered some hostas in the enclosed porch.

AbAnn - is the one with the white margin from 'Summer Breeze'? I think you said you had an interesting one from it. I'm wondering if that plant and it's family are more prone to interesting progeny. I have an interesting seedling from a sibling sport of 'Summer Breeze' ('Last Dance') that has the reverse margination of the parent. And I just potted up my little seedlings from this year today and there's another from it that looks as though it might become interesting.

I don't remember what other seeds I sent to you but were some of them from mini hostas? If not, they might have been pollinated from mini hostas.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi V Ann
These are the seeds you sent me: There is Lakeside zinger, Last dance
Francee, Gemini Moon,Kifukorm.....,and Summer Breeze. I didn't get any germination from Kifukorm. Some of the darker green babies have light red legs (lakeside zinger tags)Bottom right with flower stalks on them and the light colored pale leaves are mostly Summer Breeze as is the interesting one.
The small ones are really small so they must be a mini cross. The seeds were all planted at the same time so they do show the different sizes as they have all been treated the same and are 3 yrs old . I am just getting the new seeds you have sent ready but I think I will wait until after Christmas to get them going it gives me something to look forward to.

Alberta Ann.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks Betty, for posting re: the sale at the Calgary Hort of Carol's plants. I will have to see if I can get to it.
Apparently there is a Plant Share in Carol's garden beforehand. I know I won't be able to go to that. I have nothing to share.

I just think it is such a wonderful tribute to Carol .. I am so happy she made plans to share the fruits of her labour. Anyone fortunate enough to become a guardian of one, or more, of her plants is lucky indeed, most especially the Fern Leaved Peony. A true legacy to Carol.

Off to have an oil change this morning .. was going to have the Toyota customer service car take us to a near by mall, but, re thought it as Lorna would likely have trouble getting into and out of the vehicle. Hopefully 10 o'clock IS 10 o'clock and not 11 !! Mind you, the service dept has usually been quite efficient and on schedule.

PUBLIC school is back to the books today, however, Catholic (Seperate) start tomorrow. I wonder if in my lifetime this difference will be gone ..

Not sure what the weather is forecast to be .. but am expecting MORE heat .. it sure is the BUZzzzzzzzzzzz word around these parts.

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Woke to rumbling this morning but storm seems to have passed me by..thankfully I didn't listen to the forcast and had the sprinkler on most of the day yesterday.

Was on the lookout for school children, stopped for several buses..must remember to leave a few minutes earlier now.

When my kids were in school we had 2 school buses running same route, one for Catholic school board and public school board...imagine that in this day and age..not sure it's still happening, must inquire.

Police have blockaded the exit here for investigation..some think it's a jumper from Bayfield bridge onto the highway, sure hope not because it's something the driver of the car who has no recourse has to live with the outcome..will have to listen to the news..

Hooe dealership is on tme "M"

Yep, what I would give for Carol's leaf peony

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

AbAnn - Lakeside Zinger is a mini hosta, though a fast growing one. It's registered as "parentage unknown"; so who knows how it got so small. Kifukurin Ko Mame is also a very vigorous mini, but doesn't matter since you didn't get germination from it.

I've found 'Last Dance' and 'Summer Breeze' which are siblings - both sports of 'Summer Music' (which looks totally different), to be very fertile. Actually, 'Last Dance' is a 2nd generation sport.

mmer Music (wy)

-> Dance with Me (yg) -> Mango Tango (yg)
-> Foxfire Nightsong (wg)
-> Golden Melody (yy)
-> Green Sleeves (gg)
-> Green Summer Music (gg)
-> Lakeside Meter Maid (wg) -> Lakeside Banana Bay (yg)
-> Nickelodeon (gy)
-> Olympic Magic (os)
-> Southern Music (yg)
-> Summer Breeze (gy) -> Lettuce Salad (gg)
-> Quite Contrary (gw)
-> Stitch in Time (gy)
-> Summer Lovin (gy)
-> Summer Fest (os)
-> Summer Love (yy)
-> Summer Music Gold (yy) -> Last Dance (gy)
-> Summer Music Streaked (os)

I've got 'Mango Tango' too. Will be interesting to see if it produces interesting seedlings too.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I've got this picture of Carol from July/11 with her prize winning peonies. I will always remember her love of Shelties and Peonies. I always like Shelties, but not so Peonies. Thanks to Carol, I love Peonies, too!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

What a beautiful photo Susan, thanks for sharing. Life is so precious, to think she looked so well last year..goes to show us, live today as best we can!

Been cleaning the gardens ViolaAnn and am amazed at just how many hosta's I have throughout the yard, lots of duplicates but still..maybe I should make a hosta only garden and keep track as you all do, monitor their growth and catalogue what species..sounds like a fun project to do.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

V Ann your knowledge and organization of the Hosta info always blows me away! thank you for the info!
I see how complicated the variety can be.

Susan Lovely photo!

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm overwhelmed by it!! Both of you really...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This photo of Carol is one she shared with us in 2011. I wasn't the photographer, but always will keep this on my computer. She was always gracious to me and everyone else that touched her life. To me she is "grace under fire" even when ill, an elegant & lovely hostess at the Lougheed House, caregiver to unfortunate Shelties that came under her care as well as lover of her Fancy, and a gardener extraordinaire. Her gardens were calming, cozy and wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing her garden again this weekend. It won't be quite the same, but still will impart her presence, I'm sure.
It can't help but.......

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Be careful, Betty, Growing hostas can become an addiction!

Victoria Harbour, ON

I can see that..I've some that are so huge they are taking up 1/2 of 3 gardens..must be the type or they love their home..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hostas vary from only a few inches across at maturity to several feet across (and several feet high as well). The variation in size along with seemingly infinite variations in colour between white, yellow, green and blue is what makes them so addictive.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I love hostas. Funny thing is, they usually say the flowers are not consequential, but on some Hostas they are truly beautiful as are the leaves!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And many of those blooming right now are very fragrant.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah - I can't smell the flowers, but I sure enjoy their beauty!! Only Very strongly scented flowers can I smell - like lilac trees/bushes because they're highly fragrant and there are so many at a time. Can't miss that fragrance!! lol

Another day .. with temps back to being what I would call 'normal'.
Oil change yesterday took an hour, had counted on less time than that, so much for being early.
Seemed 80% of Thunder Bay was out and about on the roads yesterday .. just amazes me sometimes how many vehicles can accumulate on the streets ..

Going to try and get in for a haircut today .. fingers crossed it happens .. have ALWAYS had a 'love/hate' relationship with my hair .. let it grow and then grow tires of the time it takes to fix it up.

My Hosta flowers were so very delicate .. not too fragrant though.
The perennial garden got a good soaking last night .. the Rudbekia is flourishing .. I should have listened to Carol when she told me to 'be careful' with it as it tends to take over a garden ..
The roses are thriving too .. I hate to guess when the first 'frost' will hit .. has been as early as Sept 19th.

Have a great day

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

brrrrrr Sept 19th for frost? yikes!!
I need to cut my hair too.....looking "shaggy" lol

Well need to get myself out of the door - off-site church service, and friends are giving me a ride......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine here, real fall day..calling for cooler temps on the weekend..love the feeling of fall!!
Got my hair cut and permed last Thursday night so am ok for a month or so..2nd perm in short span..had one before I left for NewOrleans, asked her to roll it in big rollers and lightly done because I didn't want wee grannie curls so needless to say it didn't last but that was ok.

Don't you feel so much better when your hair looks nice??? Odd time I feel like coloring mine but no, costly to continue doing so..I'm old soooo leave hair white lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol Betty - you're a snow-white angel, y'know!! Some people look good in silver/white, while others look drab. I'm one that looks drab when I let the grey take over. I always colour my own, never at a salon where it would be $65 to $70! (maybe more, but I can't afford to frequent Those salons lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'd rather spend my money crafting and/or travelling so white it shall be, drab or not!

Had container of veggies/dip for lunch now I can go to the new quilt shop that just opened, excited about that..bring lunch to save money then go shopping on lunch hour and spend what I saved and more lol

I called to see if they had a kaleidescope mirror for quilting, she believes they do, only open until 5:00 so unless I go at lunch I'd not be able to shop

Suzanne is out of the office tomorrow, I had Monday off, usually work from home on Friday's but heck, thinking of asking to work from home tomorrow as well...soooo is I get sewing supplies I'll have something to play with..if not sewing then maybe work on a piece of stained glass for a gift..maybe I'll e-mail him after I go for lunch.

Got the hair cut .. feel lots better .. stopped colouring mine a while back .. seems it's a light shade of blonde on its own .. weird huh ?

Had lunch at a new Japanese restaurant .. ate WAY too many vegetables .. fills you right up along with the noodles. Not too keen on Tempura .. sure looked good though.

Boy, did Michelle Obama ever WOW the crowds last night at the DNC .. she really is a lovely lady, speaks well and choses her fashions well.
I also see Canada in 'the news' for all the 'wrong reasons' .. I guess the Quebec election will go down in history as one filled with divisivness and violence. Sure makes ya think.

Cooking a ham tonight so I can have the bone for pea soup for the day Lorna's parents arrive .. off to look for whatever little corner I secreted the whole cloves in LoL

~M~

PS .. COOL/rainy day here

LoL .. Betty.. we 'over posted' .. seems we're both full of veggies !!!

Good luck with your shopping .. as I finished the other post, someone sent me a request for a Scrabble game .. can't resist!!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL but Betty...... to spend $$ on quilting stuff is a good thing lol
Hope you get to work from home the rest of the week, you would leave less pins and needles on the work floor lol

Boy, both Betty & Marilyn eating veggies today - who'da thunk it? lol

I hadn't heard anything about the Quebec election...... yikes!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol cross-posted lol Veggie day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.