Whiteflies!! Is it just me?

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Since we are all getting about the same weather I'm wondering if anyone else has as many whiteflies as I do. They're all over everything, annuals, perennials and veggies alike. They don't seem to be doing any particular damage outside. But I'm very concerned about all the plants that I bring in for winter. Last winter I battled them and lost. Anyone have any suggestions for preventing the same thing from happening this year?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I would imagine that outside there is a battle going on and they might just stay even or worse, but indoors away from all those other natural "friends"... good luck. Safer insect soap spray would be my first choice. A systemic might be in order. The number one plant that I used to bring inside that brought the most whiteflies with it was Fuchsia. Gave up on having those inside. I have not had a whitefly indoors in over 20 years, thank goodness.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last time I had them ,indoor insect spray" P,U." only thing that ever worked as I recall. That was a couple of decades ago also lol The laugh about the same and not about the whiteflies of course. Little "buggers" get into everything.Grrrrr

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Big sigh! .......Guess I'll do more cuttings than usual. At least those I can wash real good before coming indoors. Safer soap kept the numbers down last year but didn't eliminate the wfs. I spent hours smashing all the eggs that I could find. I wonder if there is something I could dip the foliage in that would kill the eggs but not the plants. Another sigh.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well to finish this season i have more whiteflies, stinkbugs, and milkweed beetles, than i have ever seen. This caps off one year i won't soon forget wow!!
So it ain't only you!!

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Everything is indoors now that needs to come in as we're getting regular frosts. No sign of whiteflies indoors yet. Yet! The cuttings are likely all I'll have left come Spring as we are dry as a bone here. Field fires were everywhere during the harvest. Reminds me of the stories of prairie fires back when this area was first settled. What's next........grasshoppers?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Locusts.

Do the yellow sticky traps work on white flies? I used to have aphid problems indoors until I stopped trying to overwinter certain plants. I do get a couple of spider mites (difficult to get rid of without using harsh chemicals) but will try water misting more often.
Funny about the grasshoppers - I noticed several this year and I usually don't have them here.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Spider Mites are kinda easy to control - Safer Insect Soap Spray used on a regular basis works well, very well.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Grasshoppers you say? I have had those all year eating everything!!

I'm thinking grasshoppers like sunnier beds than I have had in the past. I only noticed them in the bed that now has more sun exposure. They even ate a few of my lemon tree leaves. :(

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah...I get it now. In my almost full sun garden I had to constantly battle those disgusting things. I my mostly shade garden I have seen ONE!

I'm not sure if it was more sun (and we had lots of sunny days this summer -more than normal) or the drought and high temps. Visions of grasshopper hoards briefly crossed my mind. Ugh.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Whiteflies to *H* and gone up in the g'house..........BUT............I have sprayed twice in the last 3 weeks......will do it again later this week. The numbers have gone down drastically since the last spraying. Next time I will use a different chemical so's not to build up resistance to any one mix. Really strange, some things have alot, and some have none. I suppose they have likes and dislikes for host plants. Hibiscus seem to be the worst, but not all of the hibiscus have them.

I only see clusters of them outdoors in late summer/early fall.
Having a heck of a time finding yellow sticky traps locally. Was hoping to avoid having to mail-order them. I have more issues with fungus gnats lately.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I might bet that a good spray with Safer Insect Soap onto the top of the soil in pots might cut back on fungus gnats.

Hmmm - I"ll have to consider that. I might also try the mosquito dunk thing as well. I have Neem but will have to read up on whether it has any effect on the fungus gnats. Nice thing about the sticky traps is that I can be kinda passive about pest control. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.