Garlic Lovers Thread - Growing and Eating in the MAF

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Of course by the head is fine, also... I wasn't sure if you were running short, and I'd like to try them all! But I'll be happy with any available, and as I said, there's always next year, too. :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If Garlic Man is local and does not have a Farmer's Market conflict, perhaps he would consider a Meet & Greet & Eat, withTell & Sell.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL David....you may have missed your calling!! Or did you do advertising as well?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm unclear from thread as to the availability of 'Georgian Fire'. If availible I would like as least one bulb, two if there is enough.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I know Jim would love to try 'Georgian Fire' also... in case Garlic Man brings extras... cost-wise, please pick up $5 to $10 of assorted garlic on my behalf if possible if you see Garlic Man at the farmers' market tomorrow. I sure hope he can come to the "meet & eat & show & sell & etc" :-)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Greenthumb and Critter.

I will be going to the Farmers Mart early tomorrow morning to see if Garlic Man has brought any of his seed stock 'Georgian Fire' garlic bulbs for us as he offered on Tues when I saw him.

I will post availability here, if any. Chantell has first dibs.

I'll also float the idea of a "Meet Greet Eat" "Tell Smell Sell" at or swap.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 10:35 AM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup.

You can put me on the bottom of the list for Georgian Fire, I would like to add it but I can always wait for future seasons.

Can you explain the allure of the elephant garlic? It takes up a lot of space.

-P

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Here I am feeling ogre-ish.
By this point, ( by this weekend) Garlic Man has pretty much sold us all we say we are planning to buy.
I don't want him to think there are fifty OTHER NEW people coming to buy more garlic.
But hey if he thinks it'd be fun to stop by , eat a plate, and meet us, why not?
~~
Elephant garlic is more a novelty I'd say. (They say) It has a mild garlic like flavor in a shockingly large clove size. Leek family acc to Garlic Man.

Thumbnail by sallyg
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Dear Sally,
When I feel an "ogress" (feminine form of 'orge') coming on (or necessary) I eat more garlic!

Seriously, after finally attending a swap myself at Holly's, I can't honestly imagine how one day is ample enough to meet, greet swap and eat ourselves let alone include a "seminar" or even a mini workshop! And, I hope that many of us will have some quality time with you and your garden to pass along whatever good thoughts we might have for "changes" you envision as you stated on your Wants list.

So, let me revise...when I see Garlic Man tomorrow, I will thank him for growing more than the grocery store garlic varieties and that we are looking forward to trying them and that we are grateful for any 'tips' he has shared and that we will try to give his garlic good homes! And have fun growing it!

Ogress Judy signing off.

Dear Judy,
I'm so glad I didn't offend your sense of generosity in thinking to invite GM over. Thanks for taking charge of the garlic acquisition and relaying his info, as well as our enthusiasm for his product. If I see him at a closer by me market I will of course say hi .
Yrs,
Sally
(who will feel like a princess with all you wonderful ppl here next Saturday!)

Thumbnail by sallyg
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

Seems you are into alter Egos lately............:o))

This is how I feel! Total Inertia.......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy and Sally - my apologies...I meant well when casually mentioning an invite to GM...I over stepped when suggesting a garlic 101 class. Mouth/fingers in gear prior to brain. If I've offended either of you - please forgive my impulsive typing. I only do this with 'family' y'all feel blessed - don't you? Again - please accept my humble apologies...those thoughts/suggestions would have been more appropriate via dmail and I know better.

Oh pshaw fugeddaboudit, it was all a bunch of idle chatter as usual!!!!

Will we have enough garlic to cut a clove each and compare the scents?
Like today I cut my presumably China White and again thought, hm this is not quite the same yummy-garlic smell as what I used to buy.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

sally, in a similar vein, when I was young my eyes would tear when I cut up onions, but it hasn't happened in years. Have the onions changed, or have I? Have you had similar experience?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I wonder too...have we acclimated to these things or as with so many things touched by humans are the 'new and improved' not so improved?

Ya know, maybe we see more of the 'sweet' onion varieties being sold. I don't get teary very often either. Maybe the growers are breedng out the 'tears', on purpose or inadvertently.
Hey the knife trick worked perfecty tonight! I could have sworn I tried it before but must not have.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I seem to recall that the onions back in the "old days" had more bite too. I would think that the two properties would be related.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It depends on the onion here. Sometimes I tear, sometimes I don't

I bout spit out my coffee when I read 'idle chatter'. Who us? Hahahaha

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Georgian Fire Garlic

Garlic Man brought one bulb of Georgian Fire to share amongst us. This bulb has seven cloves. So, we are down to the clove level on this one.

However, I have found two sources for GF garlic that are not "sold out".

Green Mountain Garlic has organic seed bulbs available by the pound (4-5 bulbs/lb) for $19.95 + shipping. They fill their order in the order received so even if we ordered today, they wouldn't arrive til post swap.
http://www.greenmountaingarlic.com/shop/garlic/

Second possibility is Rainbow Seeds through Amazon.com. They sell GF garlic bulbils
approximately 50 for $5.79 plus shipping. It is my understanding that planting bulbils takes 2 yrs to become a full head. http://www.amazon.com/Georgian-Fire-Heirloom-Bulbils-Hardneck/dp/B005OOUHUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1347372967&sr=1-1

Any interest in a joint order in time for fall planting, please let me know asap. Thanks. Judy

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy-

I would be in favor of the bulbils! I would rather have half a dozen or a dozen bulbis..than a starter bulb or two.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Has anyone here ever made garlic soup? It's similar to French onion soup, with a little crouton and broiled swiss cheese on top. You have to figure a whole head of garlic person for the soup; a bit more if the garlic heads are small. Well, I got myself going here. Gotta get myself a bag of garlic at the corner fruit stand. I might also make homemade garlic bread to go with that, and a Caesar salad. Garlic doesn't stand a chance in this house! We don't use garlic as a topping for ice cream because it's disrespectful for the garlic.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

lourspolaire- you'll have all our mouths watering!! Glad you posted in on your love of garlic.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

lourspolaire - Can you fly up for our swap and bring garlic soup for the food table? You are certainly welcome. ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

YUMMEEE!!! Count me in for a sm # - whoever y'all decide to go with

I'll pass on Georgia Fire,. Just not a hot taste kinda gal~~ so just lettin ya know I did see.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm in for Georgia Fire, but only if there is enough to go around....

I was thinking of growing garlic in containers -- think that would work?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy, I grow my garlic in containers as I do most veggies, etc. They seem to do fine if container is large enough, etc. Here is a link to some garlic container growers from Virginia. Go towards the bottom of the page to read their account
http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/12401/17001.html

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I totally forgot to include any $ for garlic in my baggie for Coleup... please ask Terri to pay for any you have for me (she's collecting $ for crystals & pens, so that should cover it... and I did send $ for the dwarf crepe myrtle but again please get more from Terri if there's an extra one of those, as I'd have no problem finding a friend or neighbor to gift it to.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

How delightful it was to share my first Garlic Tasting with you all today at the swap! Much more fun than sampling solo. Sorry you missed it Terp and Critter, but hey, by next year maybe we'll have growed enough garlic to have a Garlic cook off! Maybe we will even win over some non garlic fans.

Informal vote says 'Music' is a winner. And, I must say we have some very sophisticated pallets among us!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Fun tasting th different kinds. Thank you and Sally for talking up 'garlic' man. Will be interesting to see how the crops grow! Sure wish DH liked garlic more.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup, I'm late in joining this thread.

Am I also late in ordering garlic? What do I do if I want just a couple of bulbs of Music?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You talk to me -- I have more than I can use!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Happy! Problem solved! :)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - I'm thrilled to try this experiment...going in pots as Judy suggested...YUMMMMM

Farmers Coop (Southern states) has Chesnok Red and something softneck white. THe Chesnok was larger than Garlic man's- but it was 3.99$ EACH
Another good experiment for us would be compare the storage life of all of them adter we harvest. My 'china white' that I pulled in late May or early June, is stored above the fridge warm and dry and still great..

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...I need to go to Southern States tonight (dog stuff) - will see what "mine" has and report back

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Southern States report...SHEESH!! However they have oddles of things on sale now

Thumbnail by Chantell
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the report! I need to head out to one! None close by me, which is annoying.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Happy, are you in the market for more garlic?!!

Here is a link to an easy roasting method I used for the swap Tasting
http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=151

And a link to Garlic Festivals, scroll down to Sept/Oct dates. There is one near Charlottesville,VA that is a Garlic and Wine Festival!
http://www.garlicseedfoundation.info/festivals.htm

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 12:00 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.