Jatropha podagrica

Yardley, PA

Just wanted to post this as I can't believe how big the leaves get when they are in the ground. They never get this big for me when it is in a pot.
This usually doubles in size for me over the summer. Can't wait to dig it up as a lot of times the caudex is growing underground.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

Those are impressive Sally. I think I will put some of my plants out next summer. I think the heat has caused a lot root damage that would be avoided with them in the ground. I have a new flower bed to put them in too!
I also have collected some seed from my J. podagrica. Do you think they should be planted now or can they wait until next spring?

Thumbnail by helenchild
Yardley, PA

Hi Helen, that is one plant I had trouble sowing the seeds to. I just didn't have any luck with them so I am not sure.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Helen, it looks like you have some great space for plants there. Is that how Georgia soil is or have you added amendments to it?

Decatur, GA

Thanks Nancy. The soil has lots of amendments added over the years. I have used mostly pine bark mulch from the past 9 years I have been here. But I think too this old yard has probably had some soil imported since there were several mound type beds when I first move it. I have changed them to slightly raised beds with the stones. With the expansion of my deck I moved the soil from the area that is now under the deck and made this bed lots bigger. As you can see I still have some dirt to move. So the soil in my yard is a mixed bag without much of the famous red Georgia clay.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's what I wondered about was the red Georgia clay that I have heard of. Your soil looks wonderful for planting.

Decatur, GA

Thanks Nancy. I will save some room for setting out my s/h caudiciforms next spring. That should be fun. Sally has had good luck with the method so I will try it as well.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looks like you will have seeds from your Jatropha. You do have a perfect place there for your caudiciforms. Lucky you!

Decatur, GA

I finally got a snap shot of my plants. The leaves are big and it is producing seeds. Note the little mesh bag in the upper right over the seed pods. The caudex hasn't gotten to much bigger the past year or so though.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

What a gorgeous plant! I remember you showed it last year when it bloomed. It seems to have lots of wonderful leaves! I'll bet it likes the humidity there in Georgia.

Decatur, GA

Thanks Nancy.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Just found the thread. I love my Jp and had no problem with seeds, every single one germinated and never failed. It was in June in Ohio, nice and warm, maybe just perfect combination of light/temps/rain? They are rather slow growing for me though, the plants shown are 2 y.o.

So Sally, do you grow them in-ground in PA? and digging up for the winter?

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Decatur, GA

I still have my handful of seeds and plan on attempting to germinating them soon with a heat pad and artificial light. I am glad to hear you had good luck carpathiangirl getting them to grow. Wish me luck.
Helen

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Good luck Helen and have fun! These germinated in 3 to 5 days and kept growing nearly hourly, hehe. It was August 2010, not June.

Maria

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

More shots, 2 weeks apart

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.