When do I plant these guys into larger pots?

Battle Ground, WA

I harvested several hundred seeds from my Japanese maples last year. I stratified them and a few hundred germinated. They are about 4 months old and I am just wondering how I know when they are outgrowing the container they are in. Some of them I moved to 4.5" pots a couple of months ago but they dont seem to be doing as well as the ones still in the starter trays. Any advise would be great.

Thumbnail by SiglerMeadows
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have started jm seeds here although just a bakers dozen nothing like you have done - i waited until the roots started coming out the bottom before moving to larger pots. i used no fertilizer so mine are now in 1 gallon containers and are 4 years old. i have planted two out and expect they will grow faster than the others next year.

Battle Ground, WA

I see. Thanks for the tip, these trees are the fist thing I have ever tried to grow.

Milford, DE

You could keep them in there for another year. I like to transplant when the roots reach the end of the pot not just one root but many roots. Do not over pot the plant (too big of a pot) the roots can start to rot from too much moisture. I have seedlings in a 3" pot and they are about 3 foot tall with no branching. I don't want branching for grafting reasons.

Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.