Cracked tomatoes

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I know this is a common topic, but I'll ask anyway. Never before have I had such bad cracking on my tomatoes- it is not limited to any one variety- this photo is from one plant-(verirty not certain-) Watering can't be the problem- they are watered by irrigation twice daily as is all my garden. I had shadecloth on to prevent sunburn.
On another note- how about these carrot people!

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi JoParrot - Though I don't have any tomatoes growing this year (the weather was so odd this year, I decided not to bother) I have had that problem some years while other years I have no cracking at all.

I've heard it has to do with inconsistent watering, but I found a site where it's explained in a very logical way. I found it very interesting and thought it might be of interest to you.

Here's the link:

http://greensideupblog.com/2008/06/solution-for-cracking-and-spliting-tomatoes/

Parts of it don't apply, but the part about cracking makes perfect sense to me.

By-the-way, those carrots are really cool!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 4:42 PM

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Jo, note that the splitting is around the stem end and no doubt started out as radial cracking, which is a common feature of many varieties. Usually the scars heal over but if there's too much water from rain and/or irrigation, then those scars break open and split open as your picture shows.

The link shows what's called horizontal cracking and the other common splitting is called concentric splitting with splits in a circle around the stem end and same story as to splitting with too much moisture.

There's a genetic association with both radial and concentric splitting but horizontal splitting can occur with almost any variety when the tomato has reached its maximum size and then lots of water, and since the tomato skin can't expand any more the wall and skin splits.

Carolyn

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Carolyn, that's interesting. I never really thought much about different types of cracking, although now that you mention it, the cracking I've experienced in the past has probably been "radial" cracking. Thanks for sharing that info!

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Jo, your photo looks like lots of my tomatoes...all cat-faced like that. The first flush of tomatoes weren't like that, and it appears that the next ones coming that are still green won't be cat-faced either. Makes me wonder if our period of extreme heat has something to do with it.

PS, love the carrot-pants!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, was wondering if I got a different picture than the rest of you. Thought those darned tomatoes looked an awful lot like carrots and was going to ask you Jo, what did you do to make them look like pants? Pretty good. Jeanette

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Well-------I posted the tomato picture first, but the gremlins put the carrots first--then when I went to edit the post, there wasn't any place to move the photos- so you just need to read in reverse order!!! I have had some weird shaped carrots, but most of them were picture perfect and so sweet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.