Peachy hedychium

Sumter, SC

I received beautiful peach colored hedychiums from a Carolina Forum friend 2 yrs ago, and they are currently blooming. I plan to move them to more a sunnier spot in Feb. I bought white and yellow hedychiums a couple years ago, but ground voles got most of them despite my mixing lots of crushed pebbles and castor bean seeds among their roots. I now plant everything in plastic containers to protect from voles.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's beautiful! I grow lots of gingers! Because it's been such a wet growing season this year, mine are taller and bloomed earlier than they ever have before!

Sumter, SC

I think mine will perform much better in full sun. I might dig up the white and yellow gingers, and overwinter them in my GH. My yard went w/o significant rain for almost a month beginning around mid July, but the past 3 weeks have been wet and wonderful. Hope your yard is drying out down in beautiful Summerville.-)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've never had luck growing gingers before, but this year, I think I finally found a great place for them and with the wet August we had, I'm getting blooms. They're right next to a window of my sunroom, so when they really start blooming, I'm hoping we can smell them in the sunroom.
Now that I've had some success with them, I'll probably end up getting some other kinds. ;)
Barb

Sumter, SC

They do smell heavenly, Barb. I have the peach color which is blooming again. I also have a few of the white and orange (the orange has no aroma) gingers left, which I'm going to scoop up and overwinter indoors. This winter, in an attempt to protect from voles, I'll be digging more holes for large plastic containers in which to plant my gingers next Spring. This ground vole thing is exhausting and a source of endless frustration, but I must remember that I'm on their turf and remain vigilant. Is it 5:00 yet?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Voles are eating your gingers? Wow .. I have voles and they never touch my gingers!

Sumter, SC

They ate most of my white and orange gingers last winter, even though I had mixed lots of pea gravel in the soil. They are ravenous demonic rodents who will eat just about anything. It's interesting, though, that I have about 20 camellias, and they've never been touched. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.