Dumb daylily question?

Enid, OK

I was at Lowes today and they have a plant on clearance that looks like a daylily...except...I have never seen a daylily put out new plants on the leaves? Is this a daylily or something else? It kinda reminds me of a daylily version of a spider plant.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

No dumb questions. Look up proliferations. this is when the main stalk will put out a small stalk lower, with its own root start and buds. I am certain there is a better explanation available and photos.
If if looks like a proliferation, you might get a good deal. (sometimes with wrong name)

Enid, OK

Oh, ok thanks. I have seen threads on prolifs before but had no real idea what they were talking about. There is no tag on this plant at all that is why I questioned it being a daylily. It looks like one but with the growths I was a little confused!

I am going to run up there this morning and see it that plant is still there!! I hope nobody else bought it, it was only $1.00 but it reminded me a bit of a monkey grass type thing and I was leary of buying it without knowing for sure it could really be a daylily.

Spring City, TN

Sounds like a spider plant (house plant) -- they will have little spiders on the end of the leaves, this is how they proliferate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.