Will they or won't they ?

Dahlonega, GA

Never grew my own pepper seed . Will I get plants from green peppers or do they have to turn red and mature ?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They really need to be ripe. For most peppers that is red altho there are orange, yellow and brown when ripe varieties.

Dahlonega, GA

I really want to grow my own Anaheim , Poblano, for roasting and freezing . I see some nice ones in the store , but green .Will they continue to mature or does that stop when picked , even tho' they turn red ? I haven't even looked for the plants , only buying the Mexi bell , bell , and sweet .
Way too expensive to order out of New Mexico , and wasn't out there to get them roasted last year . Season hadn't started yet in July .

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Never waited for Anaheims to turn red- they are ready green- and I believe they will sprout seeds that way too.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

ahhh, I see! Anaheims are named Magdelena Chiles, when red they are Chile Colorado, but Anaheim after the California city. perhaps if you looked for a Colorado Chile you could find the seeds mature enough?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Seeds are relatively cheap probably less than your equivalent wages for the time required to save and process seeds. Twilley for example has Op Anahiems for $3.00 Op Poblano $1.75 hybrids run about $4.00. Outfits like Totally Tomatoes and Tomato Growers supply give you a much wider choice of varieties. A ripe poblano is called an ancho and sometimes they can be found in stores. Problem with saving seed from grocery store fruits is that the subsequent plant is usually a surprise.

Dahlonega, GA

O K , I'll just keep shopping .Thanks y'all .

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I've always had bad luck saving my own pepper seeds, if I do get them ripe enuff to collect seeds, they take a year to sprout- if mice haven't found em first, prefer the seeds I buy all the way around on these,

Dahlonega, GA

Maybe I can just buy the plants . I tried one time to grow the seeds and nothing even sprouted . That was 20 years ago .That's why I wondered if they were too green .

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I buy plants, for peppers anyway- time and space reasons mostly, have to be careful and keep my pepper varieties separated or the sweets turn hot, luck

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks for that info . Have you seen the two varieties I want ? I haven't looked for them so don't know if they will be in the stores .

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Bonnie plants carries generic versions of both Anaheim and Poblano. Since most of the nurserys in Georgia including the big box stores carry Bonnie plants you should be able to find them locally in the spring. If not you could always ask your favorite nursery to order a tray. Try to get them the day they come off the truck, as nurseries tend put them in proximity of flowers which can carry pepper mottle virus. The major reason I start my own plants. http://bonnieplants.com/products/vegetables/peppers In Dahlonaga you have Anderson's Feed and Supply and C& W Ace hardware as well as Walmart and Home depot.

Dahlonega, GA

Anderson's is a great place to buy all supplies .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.