Need help with tomato i.d.

Mentor, OH

I ordered seeds and grew my own plants again this year. I have eight varieties. After giving up the notion that I can remember what's planted where, I actually made a chart. After a slow start,they are coming on strong. This tomato is supposed to be a beef steak. The question I have is this some kind of tomato disorder or could this be a case of receiving the wrong seeds. I looks like a Black Krim. The other plants appear to be the same.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

I cut it open but hesitated to eat it because it looked like rot. After praying for courage, I bit in and have no complaints about the taste.

Thumbnail by psudan
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yowza - looks good to me. Could certainly be a Black Krim, but there are so many possibilities, it would be hard to say for sure. Is it possible you mislabed? What else did you order/plant? I am a huge fan of the dark varieties, so I wouldn't have been at all disappointed with this outcome!!!

Mentor, OH

Oops. I had my chart turned upside down. I guess even a chart doesn't help if you don't know north from south. LOL It was supposed to be a stake breaker instead of a beef steak. I checked and I didn't order any of the dark varieties. It has a great flavor so I'm not disappointed. Thanks for the reply, Sequee.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hmmm - never heard of a Stake Breaker. Whom did you order the seeds from?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

The description for Stake Breaker is ridiculous IMO b'c it's called an ancient plant and then goes on to say and show that fruits are of different sizes and shapes, and well, it looks to me like this is a completely unstable variety.

Again, just my opinion.

I should have looked at the rest of the varieties at that site b'c I have a vague memory of doing so a few years ago and not being pleased with what I found. Sigh.

Carolyn

Mentor, OH

The seeds came from Tomato Fest. The germination rate was very high but I hate to receive something I didn't order. It makes me wonder about the identity of the others. With so many different kinds, I'm not sure how anyone ever knows for certain. I'm not really disappointed except for the fact that I haven't seen any stakes broken, yet. lol

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Me be confused.( smile)

You received a pack of seeds with a label that said Stake Breaker but didn't order it/

Did you receive all 8 that you did order and were they the ones that you did order?

In which case Gary may have thrown in the Stake Breaker one as a freebie.

It would be great if you could list the 8 that you did order to see if any of them could have given you what you pictured.

Carolyn

Mentor, OH

I ordered Stake Breaker, Boxcar Willie, Middle Tennessee, Big Beef, Hez Hou, and Super Choice. Costa Rica was sent as a freebie. The pack in question was labeled as Stake Breaker. I also had some Pink Beauty and Moskvich seeds left from last year. At any rate, none of the dark varieties. The hot, dry weather has put everything behind but the plants are doing much better now.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Whatever it is, it certainly isn't diseased! Eat it!!!

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

I had a similar experience with Tomato Fest ordering seeds for next year. Ordered San Marzano and another type were sent, plus a "freebie" pack. Sent Gary a letter and explained what happened. A week later my San Marzano's arrived, along with another freebie pack of seeds. It will be real interesting to see what the "unknowns" will do in the garden.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Kev,
There you are!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.