Anybody got an IDea on this one?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

So, sometimes being a volunteer is great, and sometimes you really get rewarded! Today at the Extension help desk a lady walked in and set this plant on the desk in front of me. She said "do you have any idea what this is?". I said "it's an orchid of some kind, I'm pretty sure".

She'd found it and "dozens more" in her neighbor's yard, in an area that was mulched some time in the spring. It does have pieces of red mulch sticking to the roots. She says she has one at home that has a 14in. upright flower spike on it with small, light purple flowers that hang down. I asked her if she could e-mail me a picture of that plant, and I'd send the pictures out to all of you folks, my expert panel! Then she said "oh, you can take that one home, I have so many more!" )) Yippee! ((

Anyway, as you can see it has a pretty variegated leaf, the pattern looks very similar to a leaf on my one little Paph. But it's not a Paph. Single leaf, with a second one coming along, and it has a pseudobulb about an inch across and nearly 2in. high. That leaf is just over 6in. long from the top of the pb and is very firm and stiff like a Cattleya leaf. Lots of fleshy white roots.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Elaine, are you satisfied with the name you got on the other site? I would have guessed Paph, but I'm not that bright.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I think so, Carol. The lady that gave me the plant hasn't sent a picture of the flower, so I'll have to see if this one blooms to be sure.

I'm pretty sure it's not a Paph, though. The leaf is too stiff and upright, and it has a good size pseudobulb, too. Also it - and a bunch more - grew unattended in a Florida mulch pile, so it seems to be well adapted to heat and humidity, not like the fussy little Paphs I have.

I'll surely post a picture if it puts up a flower. I'll be really excited if it naturalizes in my garden and blooms.

Fridley, MN(Zone 4b)

Maybe an African spotted orchid/Oeceoclades maculata

http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/oeceoclades_maculata.htm

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, thanks I think that is what it is.

Your link is a much better one than the one I got on the other website, too. After reading that, I think I'll keep mine in a pot rather than planting it out and letting it 'naturalize'.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

:-)

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd recognize that smile anywhere.

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

giggle...

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Ursula, I did not mean to dis your link, I just didn't delve far enough into it to find the page that chinabitbit sent.

You nailed the ID on my funny little Monk's Orchid, first try!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you Elaine, no problem!

I realized the other day, that the sticky on this forum was somewhat outdated ( as a non-subscriber you can see the first post in a thread) and the links didn't work anymore, so I subscribed again to Daves Garden and fixed them. I was of course happy to see many familiar names and I looked around a bit....

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome back, Ursula. You'll find lots of good folks here and I still like the Plant Files.

Jim

Naples, FL

It is Def a Oeceoclades maculata, they are naturalized here in Naples Florida and considered a type 2 invasive weed! Beautiful plant, I grow them with my other orchids. Really easy and they grow in just about any media. Med fir bark works the best though.

Naples, FL

It should be in bloom now by the way. Mine are!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.