When to plant New Fans

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

My order of daylilies should be coming in September. My questions is should I pot them up for planting next Spring or will it be okay to plant them in ground when they arrive?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

It will be a perfect time to plant outside. Hope they give you some pretty blooms come spring!

Bowling Green, KY(Zone 6a)

I have always planted them in the ground in the Fall and they do just fine blooming in the Spring. I am awaiting an order for planting this week and another in September. I have very little restraint when I see a pretty daylily. I want them all.

Thumbnail by greykoala
Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks y'all...appreciate it...can't wait to get them in the ground.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Restraint? What's that???

I keep buying and then have to find a new spot to dig up and plant. No rhyme or reason to the digging up either. Find a new spot, set it up, pull something else out and plop in a new daylily! That's the way I do it, because I don't have much room to really set up nice displays. If I can get water to it from the sprinkler system and it is not too shaded or a big tree too close, I dig it up and plant!

It seems I don't have sense enough to NOT buy or trade anymore, but when people offer me one or two or three, I just have to have them.

I recently had a huge trunk with roots dug up in my back yard, so I cleaned it up and added compost, horse manure, milorganite, back to earth, etc and planted 10 daylilys there. It will surely be nice when the new babies grow up and bloom! Then I moved a couple of Dusty Miller plants and am now eyeing the area where they were for MORE daylilys. It's addiction for sure.

Spring City, TN

Where are you buying your DL?

I've got a HUGE area to fill and I've gotten some NOIDS from neighbors, some named from Classy Ground Covers and some named from Smokeys -- both field dug and HUGE double and triple and quad fans, healthy plants, and started growing immediately. Admittedly, money is tight here, and I hunt for the $1 & $2/fan deals but I also tend to buy what's on sale at local box stores -- figuring if the roots are healthy, they'll come back. Our only local nurseries either don't carry DL or they are extremely expensive considering the giant area I'm filling (160'x30' in 4' terraces)....

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Most of my lilys come from Blueridge Gardens (Bob Selman). I recently bought some older varieties from EarlyBird Daylily Gardens and have interest in Woodhenge gardens, Marriots, etc.etc. The list goes on and on.

When I first started, I also purchased from Smokeys, but have found better deals and better fans from the other gardens. delrin 2585 on E-Bay has nice lilys, but only single fans, so they take awhile to get going well. I shopped cheaply in the beginning because I didn't know any better. Then I got hooked and now I buy better ones.

Also, check the Plant swaps, as I have received several really nice (Have to Have) ones from others on Daves Garden.

Linda

ps. I'm sure others can offer other ideas too. Stay away from the big box stores, as they may be "tissued" plants like I might have of Joan Senior! I bought it at a Wholesale plant place, and it doesn't look nearly as nice as one that Mike has.

Spring City, TN

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to fill a HUGE area in the back of my place, so I need a swath of color -- 25 to 50 of the same plants in each bed -- instead of individual or specimen plants. When I get this project done, and learn how to grow the inexpensive plants, I'll definitely go for the nicer pricier individuals.

Thanks for the links, always appreciate the voice of experience.

And since THIS is the right time to plant (back on track here), I'll be looking TONIGHT. LOLOLOL.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Check the Lily Auction etnredclay.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Etnredclay, I have some ditchlilies free for postage if you are intrested. Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.