Drought

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

A quick check in here.. I thought I would enjoy my two week free subscription and see which of my old farm buddies are still "tail gating" here. Nothing like spending a day working in the heat and then sitting on a truck's tail gate and visiting , and maybe drinking a cold drink..

And yes, drought, is my theme word for the last couple of years here at the ol' homestead .. It pretty much rules my life. One day I feed hay to the cattle and the next day I water my plants.. Never have I seen the rabbits go in the barn and eat hay in the middle of the summer. Rumor has it that stock cattle were sent home from a local sale barn because there was no one buying ... Otherwise they would have gone for slaughter prices.. So farmers had to actually bring home cattle... The USDA has opened up CRP ground for baling and grazing.. And we even had a couple acres at our daughter's house baled last week.. and the ponds are going dry..

I watched a nice storm brewing out in Kansas yesterday.. It broke up before it got to my place..

My garden/orchard area literally looked like an oasis in the desert, especially since I am trying my hand at growing figs this year..

also trying to figure out if I should plant some winter rye.. I certainly don't want to get the wrong kind planted. but maybe some alternative winter greenery would help... Anyone have any experience with it?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!