Munson daylilies

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought I might start a thread where we can all post pics of Munson daylilies, so feel free to post away.

I also was wondering if anyone knows where Munsons were hybridized. I tried Googling it, but didn't come up with anything.

Also, upon looking up Munsons on the Tinkers database, I noticed there were several different hybridizers by the name of Munson. There's an R.W. Munson, an R. Munson, a W. Munson, an I. Munson, an E.C Munson and just Munson with no initial. Are they all related? Maybe someone here knows.

I will just post one pic tonight, as I need to get to bed. This one is CAMEROONS by Munson-R.W.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I didn't know that there was more than one Munson. I was going to upload some pics but for some unknown reason the browse button to get your pics is missing. What's up with that???

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy just use the choose the file button, it does the same thing.
I like this feature. It let you see what you are uploading before you do it.
Cameroons
Malaysian Monarch

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't know what you mean Mike.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The "browse" button is replaced by the "choose Your File" button.
Shishedo
Myan Poppy

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't see that button either. Well don't have time now to explore this. Off to church.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I best not miss this one.

Gainesville Fl.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

New not blooming yet - Persian Market, RW Munson 1969, Silver Ice RW Munson 1983, Snow Shadows RW Munson 1980

Glendevon RW Munson 1986
Tang Dynasty RW Munson 1973
Russian Rhapsody RW Munson 1973
Ida's Magic I Munson 1988

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I guess I won't be able to post any more pics until I update my I.E. browser or download Firefox or Googlechrome. Melody tried to help me but said it is probably my browser.

Riceville, TN

Cheryl Trejo at Rainbow Reflections and Cheryl Day at Cheryl Daylilies both specialize in Munson daylilies. I bet they could explain the differences in each of the Munson names. I think the "I" is Ida who wouild be Bill's (William's) wife. I have read the story of Mr. Munson and his daylilies but it was quite a long time ago and I can't remember where I read it.

dd

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm going to have to go through all my old daylily journals and see if there is a story about Munson in any of them. I have a whole bunch from when my mother was a member, and she had saved all of them. I'm glad I kept them. I love going through them when I have time. There are some nice articles in there.

Will have to post some more pics another time. Gotta go to work now.

Karen

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, here is a little I know and a little Ive read.

Bill Munson was from here in gainesville. His garden was called Wimberlyway. Well, Im not sure if the garden was actually Joe and Betty Hudsons garden . Doug Hyere watched over it till he died about 2 years ago. Anyway, here goes a little history..

Betty Hudson is Ida Munsons daughter AND Elizabeth Salters Mother. She is Bill Munsons sister. Of course, Liz and Jeff Salter are married and make great flowers too. There is a flower called Kathleen Salter, that is Jeff Salters mother.

In other words. Ida Munson is Liz Salters grandmother and Bill Munson is her uncle.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 6:24 AM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Just chiming in here. I took a huge jump into the Munson daylily craze (well, it was a craze for me) I purchased about 40, give or take, Munson cultivars from Cheryl Day, from Cheryl Daylilies (Cherylday on the auction.) Her website has almost every Munson cultivar available...most with pictures. Cheryl is extremely knowledgable on all things Munson. Some of the more difficult varieties to find, she's almost guaranteed to have.

RW Munson, is Bill Munson. So, if for some reason a DL is listed as RW Munson, or B Munson, I can only assume they would be, or should be interchangeable. Ida Munson is Bill (RW) Munson's wife. Ida Munson is a favorite DL of mine :-) As far as I know, gardenglory is 100% correct, in RW Munson's book, "Hermorocallis The Daylily," Wimberlyway Gardens is listed as RW Munson and Ida Munson's gardens.

I can't recall where I picked up the book from, the ISBN is: 0-88192-140-8

I've had people ask me if Munson's daylilies do well this far north, so far (fingers crossed), out of all of the Munson's I've either bought, traded, or won at auction have thrived.

I hope this helped out a little bit!

Happy Munson collecting.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hemhostaholic, please share some of your pictures !!! Please!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

RW MUNSON JR X CALMING EFFECT

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That's a gorgeous one Lyle!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

In reguards to hemhostas post. RW Munson Jr. is Bill Munson, as noted by Lyle. If it just said RW Munson, then of course that would be Idas hubby and Bills father.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have about a half dozen Munsons and most do well. Chinese Watercolor and Chinese Temple Flower were a bit tender the first year I planted them. I moved them to a more sheltered location out of our extreme northerly winter winds and they have done much better, although they are not fast increasers for me.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for that bit of history, gardenglory and Hemhostaholic. That explains a lot, but then who is E.C. Munson? Would that be Elizabeth Salter before she was married? And if it's just Munson with no initial, how do we know which Munson it is? Is that another Munson altogether, or would it be Bill Munson again? Confusing.

Lyle, I love that seedling! Gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Here are some pics from me. The first 2 are AGA KHAN by R.W. Munson 1978. It's a dormant, but it doesn't increase a great deal for me, and I don't think it's fertile. It's never produced any registered kids according to Tinkers, and it's not listed as being fertile. That first shot I uploaded to Tinkers.

The last 3 are of BENCHMARK, R.W. Munson '80. An EV, also not a big increaser, but quite fertile with 71 registered kids. I really do like this one, though it's registered at 30", but does not get that tall for me. Would really be nice if it did.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

EC would not be Elizabeth before marriage. She was Elizabeth Hudson.

Really nice pictures. Those are plenty tall enough to see, thats what counts.

I will have to check out my Flower's program on the other computer I know I have some Munson's that are hardy here.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

CHINESE TEMPLE FLOWER, KATE CARPENTER CHINESE WATERCOLOR, CRITICS CHOICE, JAPANESE BROCADE

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 6:35 AM

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

LEXINGTON AVENUE, ROYAL HEIRESS, SOVEREIGN QUEEN, SPODE, THAIS

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

O great!!! So glad you can post picture again, cuz those are all winners. Japanese Brocade is especially speaking to me tonight.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

So who is E.C. Munson?

Nice ones! I especially like CHINESE TEMPLE FLOWER and THAIS, but they are all really nice.

Here are some shots of my SOVEREIGN QUEEN, R.W. Munson '83. This one is hardy for me, but again, not a good increaser here.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Tinkers shows SQ to be fertile, with 8 registered kids. MALAYSIAN MONARCH looks to be a fertile Myrtle with 43 registered kids. Here are some pics of that one, which is R.W. Munson '86.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

First pic is MERRY WITCH by R.W. Munson '83, fertile both ways with 13 registered kids. Next is CHAMONIX '79, and not fertile. 3rd one is CHINESE PRINCESS '79, pollen fertile with one kid. 4 & 5 are of COURT MAGICIAN '87, another very fertile one with 115 registered kids. All of these are by R.W. Munson.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pam. I downloaded Firefox and now everything is working fine.

I have never set pods on Sovereign Queen but I imagine the pollen is good. Royal Heiress, Thais, Spode and Kate Carpenter all will set pods fairly easy.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

All nice pics, Lyle, hemlady and Karen.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mike! I have more to post, but will have to be another day.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.