SAC soon to bloom

(Zone 4b)

I know it is pre-climactic showing pictures of a clematis not yet in flower but when it does happen for this particular clem it signals for me the end of summer and the start of fall. I so like this "Sweet Autumn" clem. I have both SAC and "Summer Snow" and I do much prefer SAC. This particular plant is grown in lots of shade and that very likely reduces the # of blooms but there will be more than enough flowers to light up this section of the garden. I will post that when it does occur. Until then thanks for indulging me. See all the small flower buds? Has yours started to bloom?

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 8:09 AM

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

This was taken a few days ago- looking good! The morning glories wandered over there on their own but I may train them that way next year!! I'm kind of glad to see the Sweet Autumn after the hideousIy hot and humid summer we've had. I didn't think it was possible to be too dry (NO rain) and too wet (humidity 99%) at the same time but we did it this past summer!!Looking forward to cooler fall weather. MWhit

Thumbnail by mwhit
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Absolutely gorgeous, terrific and glorious!

(Zone 4b)

Holy Toledos as Klinger might say...that is spectacular. I will post a picture of my now blooming SAC sometime today or tomorrow.

(Zone 4b)

Okay here is mine...the same plant I posted of on August 24th above. Just take note that this clematis receives very little direct sun.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the kind words.
That SAC looks great and makes a nice backdrop for your flower bed.Are the low growing plants annuals? The bed is so colorful-good contrast. Is that a Rose of Sharon in behind there? They are another good end of summer bloomer.
Glad to see anything still looking fresh and healthy -most of my stuff looks pretty bedraggled by now- in my pic you can see how crummy looking the Morning Glory foliage and those Iris are getting.
Thanks for posting, MW

(Zone 4b)

Of course thanks mwhit.

What I think you see in behind the fence with some mauve flowers up high is not a Rose of Sharon but rather a few flowers from the clematis "Madame Baron-Veillard". Although the base of the clematis is inside the fence, due to sunlight higher up it has reached up about 10 feet on the other side!

The small 'wing garden' below is (too) stuffed with plants:

PERENNIALS: 2 Toad Lilies on either end, 3 not very visible tiarella, one 'dwarf' Japanese Anemone
ANNUALS: 2 very large FUSION gold yellow impatiens and then many of the red begonias

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

You are right- that is what I spotted!

I've never grown a lot of annuals but this year my husband brought me a red potted Dragon Wing begonia which I put in a big pot on the shady side of my pond. It has done great (considering I'm a pretty neglectful waterer)
Is there any way to winter these begonias over? -it's too pretty to just pitch at the end of summer.
I don't think I've ever seen yellow impatiens-just the usual red, pink and white. Your plants really complement each other-very nice! MW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.