Southeast Natives Inticing Butterflies

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

What SE natives are calling butterflies to your garden?
There's a lovely pair of Tiger Swallowtails (?) working over my Lemon Queen Sunflowers. I think I forgot to read the plant description that said 80 inches! It's a lovely background plant that invites a wide variety of insects. The yellow color is distinctly more lemony/buttery rather than golden. Highly recommended if you like to attract wildlife to your garden.

Thumbnail by JaneJabbour
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Very pretty picture, and all its parts!

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

Maypops are definitely Fritillary magnets. For some reason, this year was a bumper crop year for my Maypops. They've been popping up all over the place. I have two older vines growing at the base of two large cedar trees. They decorate the Cedars with their blooms and make them look like Christmas trees. Then along come the fritillary's by the dozens. I'm beginning to pay attention to which plants attract specific species of butterflies. Because this was such a great year for maypops, I have a feeling next year will bring multitudes of fritillary's.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No pics - just back from CA.

However: the butterflies are all over the Valley, working such plants as Ironweed, Swamp Milkweed, Yellow Wingstem, and on some occasionally reblooming viburnums here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.