Preparing For Science Class

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

I work for a non-profit special needs school as a special needs paraprofessional. This year I'm working with a new team & a new teacher. We have science!
Because all of our students have individualized education programs we have to be creative with adaptions to curriculum so we're meeting their needs. Keeping all of the kids interested & presenting things in a broad enough range to ensure success can be an invigorating challenge.
After speaking with the teacher today we're going to incorporate a unit on plants. One of the projects will be growing amaryllis! I can't wait to do this with the kiddos (what a way to beat some of the winter blues. What I'm looking for are suggestions for providers for the bulbs. Keep in mind we have a tight budget, as does every school! I also need suggestions on varieties, big blooms, interesting colors!
We'll be incorporating soil info (very simplified!) and graphing into the project. On-line resources would be great! That way we can incorporate the technology classes into the mix. Thanks for any pointers!

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Look to your local garden clubs and the Master Gardeners at your county extension. Someone should have excess bulbs they are willing to part with. Or they might loan them for a season.

I’m too far away to be of help but I would loan bulbs to an educational program if asked.

Candace

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i would also make an appeal in local newspaper in their classifieds in garden section
also wouldnt hurt to go to a few local nurseries and show you are doing what you are doing..so they
dont think your'e just trying to get free bulbs for yourself. they may even be willing to chip in on a big bag of
potting soil..
also try some of the "big box" stores ..lowes,home depot,etc.. go to the store manager.. tell them what your
doing..and ask if they could help your kids out...???
never hurts to ask..they can only say no.. :)
good luck to ya.. !!!!!

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

I didn't even think of HD I used to work there. I'll have to call the county extension office tomorrow.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Just saw this... Sounds like fun :) If you haven't already gotten the supplies you need, you might even consider talking with nurseries in your area. You may even find that one of them might be willing to donate a gift card for you to pick out supplies you need, or just donate items outright.
Let us know how it goes!
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.